. Chapter Three : Rise and Shine .

Start from the beginning

A few hours later, Volare was sitting on a fallen tree near the island castle when he notices Parlsona walking Laizard outside for the first time ever since he found the injured kraigon unconscious on the coast of the island. Laizard seemed to be walking better than before, but she was still limping a little bit, showing that her ankles still haven't fully recovered yet.

Hm... good to see her getting better. But she still looks just so... overwhelmed. And I don't think Parls should really be making the poor thing walk places with sore ankles.

Volare then saw that Parlsona was leading Laizard towards the castle.

"...And this is the island's castle, where most of the monsters sleep in! Although a lot of monsters just tend to sleep outside." Parlsona explained to Laizard, as she notices Volare and waves at him. "Hey, Volare! You're not doing anything, right? Wanna help me show Laizard around the island?"

The Epic Wubbox swallowed a gulp as he saw Laizard look in his direction. He saw the look of 'I still don't trust you!' on her face.

Me?? Clearly the kraigon doesn't want to be near me. Why are you asking me to help show her around???

Despite this, Volare didn't want to feel rude by declining the offer, so he just agreed to it and stuck by the Werdo showing their new friend around.

"Lovely!" Parlsona grinned as she led the way, with Laizard following beside her.

Laizard looked so much more massive while standing. And as Volare feared, she was in fact taller than him, by a whole foot, so that made her a little more intimidating to the winged Epic Wubbox.

Volare kept his distance from Laizard, not wanting to overwhelm her more. He was unsure what he's done wrong to have the newcomer be so skeptical of him, but he tried not to think about it too much. Laizard probably has her reasons.

Volare was starting to notice by how many times Laizard looks behind her just to glance at him, as if she was watching for him to do anything behind her back. It made him slightly uncomfortable, but probably not as much as Laizard was feeling right now. This situation was very awkward, the Epic Wubbox just wanted to hide in a pothole and not come out for hours.

Parlsona took a stop to look at the bakeries next to the group. There were two bakeries across from each other. And in between, there was a small cafe-like center, where you could sit down on a table to eat your sweats while talking to friends.

"Here are the bakeries! Monsters come here all the time to get a taste of some sweet cupcakes! Or maybe some pizza, pie... man, just thinking about it makes me hungry. I might go for a bite after this!" Parlsona giggled.

Volare could almost taste not just the smell of the fresh-baked pastries, but also the boredom in Laizard's body language. Her shoulders practically were down to her waist to where it looked like she was slowly melting from the dissatisfaction. And he can't blame her, he was also bored.

"And all the way to the South of the island, is where the mines are! But I don't want to walk all the way over there because I'm hungry now and we should totally have some breakfast!!"

"Wha-?? But isn't there more for Laizard to see??" Volare asked with an awkward grin.

"She can see it all later! But I'm more focused on some breakfast right now!" Parlsona snickered.

"...Who has sweets for breakfast?" Laizard mumbled.

She has a decent voice when she's not yelling- oh. I should probably take a few notes from her then, if I'm gonna have to learn to not be so loud...

"A lot of monsters do, actually! We love sweets! But I think you knew that." Parlsona chuckled.

"Yeah. But I don't eat sweets a lot." Laizard commented, cuffing her paws together.

Volare raised an eyebrow.

What does she eat then if it's not sweets? Vegetables? Fruits? Or... meat? Ew! That's gross to think about. Eating another monster's flesh? Oh my Galvana, stop thinking about it!

"I mean, you don't got to eat anything, Laiz." Parlsona said with a rather harsh tone, even though she probably didn't intend to come off as rude.

Volare saw as Laizard's face slowly morphed into offense, but she didn't seem to say anything in response.

"Erm, are you hungry perhaps, Volare??" Parlsona turned to the Epic Wubbox with a curious glance.

"I suppose." Volare replied, flapping his wings lightly. "Maybe some ice cream for me?"

Parlsona smiled as she padded over to one of the bakeries and started grabbing some ingredients to make some quick sweets.

Laizard was sitting on an empty table when Volare decided to join her and sat across from the Kraigon, and even tried making a conversation.

"So, uhm, how are you?" Asked Volare, tilting his head. He rested his arms on to the table, under his chest.

There was no verbal response from Laizard, only a skeptical glare.

Volare sighed with disappointment.

I'm just not gonna try. Or- no, I shouldn't give up that easily.

"Soo... how... are you? Wait- I already asked that... Gah! Ignore I said anything." Volare felt his throat tighten from major embarrassment as he slapped his goggles multiple times. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

Volare heard as Laizard faintly snickered from across the table that kind of sounded more like repetitive steam hissing.

Great, she's mocking me now... Eldoris was right, 'some things are just best left unsaid'!

Volare put his hands to the sides of his face, as he held his head over the table. He was so embarrassed and awkward of the current situation. He could feel Laizard's eyes on him, probably eyes full of judgement.

Suddenly, Laizard spoke.

"...I've been better." Her voice sounded a bit hollow, as if she was even debating whether to speak at all.

Volare looked up a little bit, to where his line of sight could only see her long claws.

...Was she mocking me? Or did she perhaps just... find me funny? Hope I don't make a fool out of myself. I've done that enough with a lot of the monsters here.

"Oh." Volare responded simply to Laizard's comment, as he tapped his hat with his metal claws.

Laizard didn't say a lot after that. Perhaps she wasn't as much of a talker, which kind of bummed out Volare. He hoped that she'd be a little optimistic, but perhaps she has something going on.

As Volare stared at Laizard's claws, he noticed said claws digging into the table, as he looked up more and saw Laizard's face morphed with a mixture of startle and concern. She wasn't looking directly at Volare, more like she was staring through him. Was something behind him??

Before the Epic Wubbox could even turn to look behind him, he felt two arms wrapped around him tightly, as he nearly choked from the startling act.

"H-Hey! What gives?!" Volare yelped, as he tried fighting off whoever was holding him, only to realize he was just being hugged.

"Relax, Volare! It's just me! Did I scare ya?"

Volare then finally looked behind him as he sneezed on what seemed to be a leaf and saw that he was just being hugged by his sister, Aspen, the Plant Epic Wubbox.