Setting the Stage for Initiation Day

Start from the beginning

Yang: Well, remember, Ruby, you're not the only one going through initiation. If you wanna grow up, you're gonna have to meet new people and learn to work together.

Ruby: (Sighs in frustration) You sound like Dad! (Shoves her weapon into the locker) Okay, first of all: What does meeting new people have to do with fighting? And secondly: I don't need people to help me grow up! I drink milk!

Yang: But what about when we form teams?

Ruby: (Suddenly nervous) Um, I don't know, I... I'll just be on your team or something...

Yang: (Bringing her hair around her shoulder and stroking it) Maybe you should try being on someone else's team?

Ruby: What?! With who exactly?!

Yang: Well, definitely not that Weiss chick. You two really don't seem to click all that well, don't you?

Ruby: That's her fault! (Crossing her arms with a pouty expression) I at least tried to be nice.

Yang: True, but there's gotta be more options. You wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by clinging to your sister.

Ruby: My dear sister Yang, are you implying that you do not wish to be on the same team as me?

Yang: What? No! Of course, I do! I just thought... I don't know, maybe it would help you... break out of your shell!

Ruby: What the—?! I don't need to "break out of my shell"! That's absolutely—

Jaune: Ridiculous!

Jaune suddenly walks in between the sisters as he's seen holding a map and looking quite lost.

Jaune: There's no way I put my gear in locker 636 yesterday! I would've remembered having to count that high! Why does this have to happen today?

With Jaune wandering around aimlessly, Jay and Mateo are seen shutting their respective lockers, signifying that their preparations are fully complete for initiation. They both end up spotting Jaune as he continuously fumbles around with the map in his hands while walking through the locker room.

Jay: Boy, between vomiting and getting lost, could that Jaune guy have it any worse?

Mateo: Jay, you already know damn well that things always get worse before they get better. For him, that should be apparent soon enough.

Jay: (Shrugs his shoulders) Eh, I'm sure he'll find his way around—

The young Yōgan soon stops in his tracks as he looks ahead. Mateo takes notice of this and gauges his reaction with curiosity and slight concern.

Mateo: Something wrong?

Jay: (Turns to Mateo and motions his head) Take a look over there.

Locating what his partner motioned at, Mateo sees the same red-haired woman in armor who gazed at Jaune from afar yesterday. He looked rather unsure at first at sight but was soon mentally connecting the dots as he noticed Jay's eagerness hidden beneath his mask.

Mateo: I'm guessing she's the one.

Jay: The very same. It's been ages since we've last seen each other. (Scratches his head nervously) I'm wondering if she even recognizes me.

Mateo: Well, if you two go way back, wouldn't it make sense for her to still recognize you?

Jay: I guess, but—

Mateo: (Waves his hand dismissively) Īya, īya, īya, īya. * You might as well do it now, or chances are it might never happen again. You said it's been ages, so what's the point in continuing to further the chance when it's right there in front of you?