2.1 Stroke Orders

Stroke Orders

It is important to learn correct stroke orders from the beginning. Let's begin with two general principles of Korean writing.

1. Everything horizontal moves from left to right. This applies to the movement of individual strokes, as well as to writing a sequence of letters (e.g.,the consonant first, then the vowel)

2. Everything vertical moves from top to bottom.

How to combine consonant with vowel

Any written syllable in 한글 must begin with consonant sign. This means that even when the syllable contains no spoken consonants (I.e.,when it begins with a vowel in pronunciation), you still have to start the syllable with the little circle "ㅇ" representing a zero consonant

A vowel letter is placed to the right,or below the initial consonant. Possible patterns therefore, are as follows

C V ex: 가.다.사.다.마.라.헤.더.키.

C ex:고.구.마.노.무.유.오
V

the final consonant of a syllable (if it has one) is placed directly below the preceding consonant and vowel,regardless of how they are arranged (i.e.,whether horizontally or vertically)

C V ex: 성.김.박.정.한.감.남
C

C
V Ex:송.훙.윤.글.손.눈
C

한 글 H N G
A EU
L

A block forming a syllable with three letters (c-v-s) will naturally be more congested than a block with two letters (c-v). However, each syllable (or block) should be approximately of the same size, regardless of the number of letters contained in it. It is,therefore, necessary to make the size of the letters smaller when a syllable contains three or four letters, as you can see in the examples below (don't worry about how to pronounce these for now-they are here to demonstrate written syllable composition). Those syllables with four signs in them will have the shape.

The possible combinations are

CV EX: 읠.삶.
CC

C
V EX: 굶.욺.
CC