Chapter 12 - February Slipped Away

Start from the beginning

"What do you have to be sorry for?"

"Bringing this up. Bringing up old traumas," she answered, but I shook my head.

"No," I replied. "This isn't your fault."

Ona stared at me for a while, trying to process everything that had just occurred in the space of a few minutes.

"Look," Ona then said. "I love you, Eva. I love you so, so incredibly much. I'm upset that you didn't tell me the truth, but now that you have, it's okay. Just don't lie to me again. Okay?" I nodded my head, wrapping my arms around her neck, and burrowing my cheek into her shoulder, feeling her warmth surround my body.

The next morning I woke up, only to realise that today was 10 years. But, it was okay. I had Ona beside me, who despite having lied to, still was there. She was still beside me.

I knew I wanted to come clean to the world, now that I had told the girl I was most anxious to tell.

Eva.valtersen: Today marks 10 years without you. I miss you everyday, my bear. I know you're shining bright, lighting up every place you go to, and helping me every single day, by living in my heart. Nora, I miss you my sister. I will forever love you.

I dag er det 10 år uten deg. Jeg savner deg hver dag, bjørnen min. Jeg vet at du skinner sterkt, lyser opp hvert sted du går til, og hjelper meg hver eneste dag, ved å leve i hjertet mitt. Nora, jeg savner deg søsteren min. Jeg vil for alltid elske deg.

Ingrid_engen: <3

Greiten: She loves you

Hayley.raso: xx

Ona.batlle: <33 forever

I posted a series of photos of Nora onto my account. The first was of her and I as little girls, in matching outfits. The second was of us on the beach, a few months before she passed away. The last was of her smiling, so brightly, in the hospital bed. And the last was of her in a wheelchair, cheering me on a football match in the cold Trondheim weather.

Woso.world: i didn't know her sister died. This is so sad :(

Valtersenstan: im crying.

Guroxingridxeva: i am so sad

It was then gameday, and I left Ona to head to the ground, to then get ready to verse Tottenham.

When I walked inside, the girls all looked at me, obviously confused about what they had just discovered. I ignored them, trying to focus on the game, and went over to my locker.

"Hey," Keira said to me, trying to talk normally.

"Hi," I responded.

"You alright?" she asked.

"Uh.."

"Sorry, stupid question. But, if you ever want to talk, don't be afraid to ask." I nodded my head, smiling at her, before returning to my boots.

Later, I grabbed a sharpie, writing on my wrist something: Nora <3

I knew she was here. Forever.

We won against Tottenham, 2-0, and our next game was another match against Arsenal. That would be a big one, setting up for a final. We wanted to win it, and win big.

We travelled down to London, and I met up with Frida before the game.

"Hey," she said to me, as we sat down with our coffees.

"Hi," I replied.

"How've you been?" she asked.

"Could be better," I replied. Frida was one of few people who knew about Nora before it came out a few days earlier. Frida, Guro and Ingrid were the only ones, really. Now, everyone knew.

"Why all of a sudden did you say something?" Frida asked.

"Not sure," I answered. "I think I just wanted it off my chest. She isn't a secret, not anymore at least."

"Anyways", Frida then said, "are you excited for the match?"

"Eh," I replied.

"Come on, it'll be a good one."

"I don't want to lose," I laughed.

"Neither," she responded. We both chuckled, before walking out of the coffee shop and strolling along the Thames.

"How's Ona?" Frida asked. I smiled as soon as her name was brought up.

"She's good."

"You're so smitten," Frida laughed.

"Maybe," I answered. "What about you?"

"Yeah, all is well."

"Why is life so okay at the moment?" I then said.

"I know right," Frida laughed.

"Feels weird," I added.

"It really does."

"How's Arsenal camp?" I asked.

"Hectic," she laughed.

"How so?"

"I don't want to give any problems away!" she joked, and I laughed.

"Okay," I said. "I won't ask."

I left Frida, and went back to the hotel, before changing to prepare for our match which was to be played at the Emirates.

"All good?" Hayley asked, and I nodded my head, as we got onto the bus to go to the ground.

I was playing in the 8 for the game, and Keira was the 6, while G was in the 10. This midfield formation worked, and we all felt settled. I loved playing alongside both of them, and I hoped it wouldn't change anytime soon.

We soon got out onto the pitch, and I saw all the players that I had seen a few weeks earlier. Tobin Heath, Leah Williamson, Lia Walti and Vivianne Miedema. All players with such immense talent, and grit, who intimidating me more than I wanted them to,

We started the game strong, but it was still a dead lock at half time. The Arsenal midfield were seemingly stronger than we all presumed them to be, especially without Kim Little in the mix, who was dealing with a serious injury.

As the game restarted, I felt myself let go. I knew it was time to play my best. I was streaming the ball down the pitch, weaving myself through the Arsenal midfield. I went to pass the ball to Hayley on the wing, but was brought down. I felt something snap in my achilles, and I groaned in agonising pain.

Their 10 had brought me down. Since Kim Little's injury, a new 10 was taking the role in the Arsenal midfield. An Australian: Tippah Jones.

But I couldn't think about that, but rather, all I could think about was the agonising pain I was in, and hoping the recovery wouldn't take too long, as in less than 6 months, I had a Euros to compete in.

One. Two. Three. Breathe.

note:

- hehehe slipped in a little clue for the future ;)