Chapter 17

Everleigh POV

College. Sucks. Ass. alright?

It may be worth it but the process is absolutely horrid, maybe it's just me though, I get along with my classmates just fine, but, let's say i'm a bit headstrong. Classmates would come up to me if they needed help but then there are also times where I feel like they're afraid to approach me, as I speak my mind quite easily.

As I was lost in my own thoughts I heard something in particular that peaked my interest.

"Hey, you know that outbreak that happened in 1975?" a female voice spoke,

Outbreak? What outbreak?

"Yeah, it affected the whole population at the time right? It was horrible, I'm glad we were born after that whole thing." another female voice responded,

I got up from my seat and walked over to them, "Hey! Couldn't help but overhear, but what outbreak are you guys talking about?" I asked, I heard of an outbreak before, but nothing that affected the whole population, was it even public information?

"Well, its the grayscale outbreak, at least, that's what they called it at the time."

Greyscale? Now that peaked my interest even more, I wanted– needed, to know,

"Could you tell me more?"

"The grayscale outbreak was this illness that affected everyone around the world in 1975, something about how a certain experiment went wrong and it spread throughout the entire world near the end of 1975." I nodded my head, indicating for her to go on, I'm glad she understood,

"So by the end of 1975, everyone in the world had grayscale vision, people at the time described it as if the world was now empty, void of anything." I think I know where this is headed...

"People would see no color, and artists started to struggle cuz they could no longer make art. It was quite devastating, I couldn't imagine living with a world where the color is ONLY black, white, and gray." she visibly shuddered, and it hit me,

"And the cure that was made doesn't even really work.." I mumbled out,

"How do you know? You don't have grayscale vision Everleigh."

I just shook my head, "I don't but my brother and his friend do, one of them uses the semi-permanent cure."

"Oh, I see, that's unfortunate then, seems like they'll never see the world in color." she replied, almost coldly..

"What? Why?" I shouted a bit, angry at this piece of information.

"Don't you know? After the "cure" was made, the company which created it stopped right after they made it. Then they put the research away in safe-keeping so no one could get access to the research and beat them."

I was fuming. How could those people do that?! There were people who needed it, no, DESERVED, To see the world in all its glory. Sure the world may be quite shitty, but those people deserved a chance to see the world.

I mumbled a quick thanks before heading to the library, I had no classes for the rest of the day anyways, just homework I needed to do. I sat down at a table and pulled out my phone.

'Hey'

I typed out and waited, but I really quickly felt my phone vibrate.

'Wassup?'

Mike typed back,

'Do you know what company made the "cure" for the grayscale vision thing?'

'I think the name was like, lens industry or something, they weren't creative at all.'