Chapter 5 - Mushroom Gratin

Start from the beginning

Well, let's set that aside for now. Naturally, I am not the first to attempt this foolhardy challenge. After entering the school for 2 months, already more than a hundred retards have approached her and gotten shot down with the same emotionless phrase. "Not interested."

It's not like I don't understand. She's probably already got a political marriage lined up for after graduation, and she simply isn't interested in this kind of child's play. But the large majority of the nobles that tried to confess to her should also be in the same boat. After graduation, it'll be straight off to arranged marriages for most of them. That's why they are hoping to have a love affair or two while still in the academy.

Well, whatever their motivations, in the end, it is all but the mere frolicking of those who know nothing of the world of shadows.

However, as a mob character, I am also fated to take part in this frolicking. Forced through a punishment game to confess to the school idol and get turned down in the harshest and most heart-crushing manner.

It is truly a mob-like event, is it not? By completing this event in the most mob-like method possible, I would get one step closer to the most ideal image of a mob character inside my head. And that, in turn, would bring me that much further down the path toward becoming a power in the shadows.

Seeing my brother's 'Fuck Kagenou' event ending with such great results. I felt that I also have to stir things up a bit and upgrade my mob status too.

Ah, now that I look at it carefully. I have two statuses to cultivate whereas my brother has only one. That's somehow unfair. This must be the perk of taking the daylight route and also the price for the eminence in the shadow route.

For the sake of this moment today, I stayed up all night deep in thought. What can I do... How can I confess to making this into the most mob-like confession ever?

Word choice is of course important, but there is also articulation, pitch change, and vibrato, to list only a few. After the whole night of research, I have attained the ultimate mob-like confession, and am now standing at the decisive battle.

Battle.

Exactly. For a mob character, this is nothing short of a great battle.

Power in shadows has power in shadows battles to fight, while mob characters have mob battles to fight.

And thus I, at this moment, as a mob character, must give it my very best.

With resolve in my chest, forward I face.

Princess Alexia... you might be standing there looking composed and all, but if I really wanted to cut you down, your head would leave your body before you even know what happened. In the end, that is your limit as a person.

Therefore, watch closely.

This is the world's most mob-like confession!

"P, P, P... Priness Alexia..."

I reveal the 'Stutter' attack card, then display my nervousness through the (in)articulation of 'princess' followed by a pitching change when saying her name.

"... I, I like you...!"

My eyes leap away from Princess Alexia to swim all over the ground, while my whole body trembles at a barely perceptible degree.

"P-, please go out with me...?"

My word choice is kept to the basics, with no fancy additions, while my pronunciation, pitch, and articulation are flying off to god knows where. Then I ended it all with a rising inflection to exhibit my lack of confidence.