Chapter 20: teasing

It was quite a while before Shadow returned. In his hands he held a bag with Tails' medication.
Knuckles smiled slightly, thanked him and went back to tails to tend him.
Meanwhile the ebony hedgehog thought about what to do. He didn't want to bother his partner when looking after the fox boy, so he took a piece of paper and a pen and wrote something. He had previously planned to leave his company, but then this employee came and threatened to kill him the echidna.
Shadow sighed. He secretly hoped that he would get a new job soon. Originally, he had previously doubted his decision because Maria wanted him to help people. However, she also wanted him to be happy and he was near the red.
"Would he let me live with him?" he murmured softly as he continued to write.

Soft footsteps sounded and his beloved sat down next to him. "Hey Shadz," he greeted him.
His head turned towards him, they made eye contact. He grinned a bit, nudged him with his nose. "Hey Kitten."
"If you call me Kitten again, you'll regret it," the younger one purred, taking the pen out of the hedgehog's hand.
Shadow smiled, set the paper aside, and moved a little towards Knuckles. "I can call you whatever I want. So go ahead. I want to regret calling you Kitten."
Arms were crossed, they stared at each other. Knuckles was the first to start chuckling quietly.
There was nothing Shadow found cuter than hearing the other one laugh. They touched each other gently. "What are you writing, anyway?"
"My resignation from G.U.N."
He looked at him in confusion.
"Why are you quitting? I thought you liked working there," he asked.
The hedgehog took a deep breath and told him what he didn't know yet. That Infinite had tricked him into staying away from him so they could perform experiments on the Guardian.
"I want to prevent it from happening again in the future. And I thought I could stay with you for a while. Of course, you have every reason to say no. After all, I've caused a lot of shit, haven't treated you well, and-"
Angrily, Knuckles punched him in the side. He had had enough of this blame game, grabbed the other's cheeks to look deep into his eyes. "Listen to me, okay?! None of it is your fault, understood!" he hissed, then his face softened as did his voice. "And the insults, well... we used to do that before we became friends. I don't see it that way anymore now that I know the real reasons." Slowly, he let the other go and smiled gently at him. "Besides, I'd like some company on Angel Island. So yes, you can stay for a while. Maybe even longer."
The hedgehog's mouth opened to say something, but he decided to stay silent and simply thank the other.
They were silent for a moment before Knuckles thought of something. "Can I have my hoodie back then?"
"I don't know. I've gotten so used to the scent of yours that I would need an alternative," he flirted, reaching for Knuckles' hand. "As if you couldn't fall asleep without it."
"Mhm... let's just say it gives me a good feeling~"
"Oh, shut up. Okay. I'll consider whether we'll sleep together in one bed."
"I never asked you if we could sleep together. But it's a nice idea, which I'll keep in mind~"
The younger one swallowed. He felt hot, his cheeks glowing at Shadow's words.
"You're such a..." He stopped mid-sentence, looking at the hedgehog playfully annoyed.
"Yes? What am I?"
"A pest. Not as bad as Sonic, but still annoying." As he spoke, he leaned against the hedgehog, feeling the clothing and warmth against his own body. It elicited a purr from his throat. It became a little louder as the hedgehog decided to gently massage his ears.
Even though it wasn't an original part of his body, it still felt pleasant to be touched there.
"Knuckles," the hedgehog whispered to him softly, stopping his action to look at Knuckles.
"Mhm?"
"I love you."
The other's cheeks turned red, apparently having trouble dealing with the excitement as he balled his fists and closed his eyes. "I... love you too," he managed to say with difficulty. He received a small touch on the head. "Relax. We're alone, no one can disturb us. If you can't say it, don't force yourself."
"But I want to. It's not like I don't want to. I'm just nervous," he whimpered as he reached for his beloved's hands.
He smiled gently at him. "You don't have to be nervous." Carefully, he leaned his forehead against his beloved's, closing his eyes.
Visibly confused, Knuckles looked at the dark hedgehog. "Does that mean we're... really a couple now?"
"If you're okay with it~" Shadow winked at him and took his pen from Knuckles' hand, continuing to write on the paper. In the meantime, Knuckles pressed himself against the hedgehog and wanted his attention again. When he realized how much these cat genes were affecting him, he sighed. "I hope Tails gets better soon. Otherwise, I'll stay like this forever."
The ebony gave him a teasing glare. "Well, I don't think it's so bad if you'd stay my little kitten~" he grinned, causing Knuckles to roll his eyes in annoyance. "Pff. You are one to talk." The red one growled. "You have no idea how much it annoys me to be a hybrid."
Shadow put down the pen and turned to Knuckles. "It could have been worse. I have a pretty good idea of what it feels like to be a hybrid. I mean, look at me. I carry Black Boom's blood in me. I'm half alien, half mortal. Sometimes I really have to hold back from eating raw meat..."
"Really? Okay, that's sick." Knuckles' cheeks turned red. "But I hope you don't look at me like I'm your next meal."
Shadow pressed Knuckles against the sofa and licked his lips. "What is this, a monster fanfiction? I would never do that~"
Knuckles felt hot. He gently lifted his gloved hand and pushed Shadow away a bit. "Still, I'd like some space." he muttered softly.
"Too late." Shadow growled playfully, resting his head on Knuckles' shoulder. "You're mine now."
For the thousandth time, the Guardian's cheeks turned red. He gently ran his hand over Shadow's head, stroking his spines and everything in between his fingers. They maintained their position for several minutes until Knuckles wanted to check on Tails again. Shadow reluctantly let him go and watched him leave.