𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒊. we've been here before

Start from the beginning

By the urgency of Jake's voice, Le'ah felt her heart combust. She stared at her father as she kneeled next to him, holding onto Neteyam's hand with a tight squeeze, "dad, do something, please!" She begged. It pained the man to hear her voice break and waver as it did at that moment, though he couldn't answer the girl as his full, undivided concentration stayed on Neteyam, clinging for life as his breaths were rushed and rigid.

Neytiri had seen the interaction between her family from the heights of the sky, quickly swarming down. Her heart dropped at the sight of her eldest son plastered on the ground, Lo'ak grabbing his chest as blood coated his hands, and the rest of the family perched on his side. Neytiri shook her beard, running towards them, "no, no, no, no."

As Neytiri took her place next to Jake, welcoming her into Neteyam's sight, the father cupped his son's cheek in his hands, comforting him that he was there, as the boy spoke through his harsh breaths, "I want to go home," Neteyam's eyes darted around his family surrounding him, feeling the hands grip at his chest, holding onto Le'ah's. His father's warm touch on his face as the man replied, "I know. I know, we're going home."

Juniper struggled under his grip on her cheek, her airways tightening. Jake solemnly nodded, "yeah. Yeah, you did," His voice shook as he spoke, trying to comfort the dying teenage girl as Neytiri covered her mouth, sobs leaving her dry throat. Juniper sniffled, groaning in pain, and Jake sharply inhaled, "I know, baby girl. I know. You're ...—you're going to be okay, all right?"

Jake couldn't help the guilt build inside of him from being switched between the present and the past as Neteyam struggled for air inside his lungs. Gasping each breath he took, whilst his chest seemed to slow, the Sully boy felt his heart giving in. He examined the faces around him, thankful that at least he was with his family, looking up at his dad's eyes as he whispered comforting phrases, "it's okay, it's okay."

Neteyam knew that his life was slipping from under his grasp, death clawing at his heart. He continued to stare into his father's eyes, his voice drifting off along with his life, "dad, I—" His head fell limp within his grasp, his eyes losing the light that shined bright.

Juniper began to cry as the pain worsened, pleadingly glancing at Jake as he continued to whisper that she was going to be okay. The Vespera girl spoke through her rugged breathing, "Jake ...—Dad, I—"

Le'ah frowned when her brother had gone silent, still holding onto the boy's hand as she felt his grip loosen. She tightened her grip, shaking the boy lightly in hopes to get him to wake up, yet she came to no avail, her ears ringing. Jake closed his eyes, shaking his head in defeat and sorrow. The Sully girl next to him peered at her father, seeing the expression he had laced on his face and wanted to yell out for him to continue trying, though her voice didn't come out. She was only met with dry sobs escaping her throat.

Lo'ak had let go of the pressure he placed on his brother's chest, looking into the lifeless eyes of Neteyam as he shook his head, not wanting to accept the situation they were thrown in. Neytiri gazed at her son, her brows furrowing as she realised how stiff the young boy went, questioning, "Neteyam?" When she came to no reply, the woman inched forward with a shake of her head, "no, no, no ... Neteyam!"

Le'ah could barely hear the blood-curdling screams from her mother, being trapped in her own head. Jake frantically reached for Neytiri as she shook the boy. Her baby boy. Just like Neytiri had held onto Jake when Juniper had passed, it was Jake's turn to return the favour. He hooked his arms over Neytiri, hushing the woman as her yells of sorrow echoed through the air, the agony lingering through the air like a cold breeze.