[𝟎𝟎]

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐊𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐊 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐁𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓. The prairie grass was dead, ruthlessly killed off by the harsh chokehold of winter. The surrounding area was devoid of any sense of civilization, save for the dirtied stagecoach travelling along the worn path trodden by many before it.

       Massive clouds drape over the land, shadowing it in their despair. The sun, try as it may, failed to penetrate the thick layer of cotton blocking its view. Time continued to march on, uncaring of how the sun was left behind.

       A lone rider accompanied the coach, his steed holding its head high as it trotted up closer to the cabin. The rider was a tall man with a stoic disposition. Coal black strands framed his face, reaching its spindly fingers to his shoulders. He dressed the part of the local rancher, a cowboy, he so often heard about. His features were set in a slight frown, occasionally shooting a glance towards the wooden cabin he was next to. Instead of sparking up conversation like he wanted, he remained quiet.

       There was no point when she wouldn't hear.

       Before he could drown himself in his thoughts for the duration of the ride, the carriage pulled off to the side, stopping next to the driveway of their destination. The land was barren, just like the prairie itself, with miles of barbed wire encasing the property. A derelict home resided further in, the splintered and broken wood crying out for repairs.

       The carriage door opened, and out stepped a young woman. A shawl lied across her shoulders, intricately laced thread creating beautiful designs woven by only the finest of tailors. Her pants were old, simple cloth sewn together in secret, rudimentary patchwork a clear signature of who's work it was. A simple, yet tasteful, blouse was all that adorned her torso. It was one she had for a long time and didn't particularly care for.

       "Your Highness," the rider began, but he was instantly cut off.

       "Miss."

       It was a simple phrase to anyone, really. However, the weight of that small word hung heavily over the pair. If he weren't as close as he was, he was positive that her small whisper would've been swallowed up by the loud snarls from above.

       "Miss," he corrected himself, "there's still time to go back."

       "It would be a mistake," she mumbled, her eyes set ahead to examine the neglected home from afar, "besides, this is my chance. I won't miss it."

       A pregnant pause shoved its way into the conversation, or lack thereof. He should've known better, he knew she wouldn't change her mind. But it wouldn't hurt to try, "Miss, I'm just trying to look out for you! You know that doing this-!"

       A slight turn of the head, and he was met with a narrowed gaze, eyes filled with a molten determination, "I am well aware of the consequences. Yet, we're here, and I'd rather not make the several hour trip back to town. We have no choice now but to get started."

       With her words now hanging over his head, he sighed. The coach had driven off a long time ago. His steed had begun to tear grass away from the clutches of the earth, mindlessly chewing whilst the pair took their time talking. The beast was exhausted, that much he could tell, and with a gentle tug, the rider encouraged the animal to follow him.

       The young woman followed close behind, taking practiced steps radiating purpose and confidence towards the shambles of a home. She didn't want to retreat after coming so far, running back from whence she came with her tail tucked between her legs.

       But perhaps she should have.

hello! welcome to the story! this is an incredibly short chapter, but it's only the prologue. i promise that future chapters will be longer than this, roughly 2k words or more, but hopefully this is enough to get you interested. this is in third-person, but all chapters from here on out switch to second-person

thank you for reading ^^