Prologue

In order to be remembered you have to die.

Middle Park High School was in chaos. It was silent, yet, even as the students crouched under their desks something hung in the air. They were all scared, except for one. A girl. She'd known this day would come and when everyone had pushed the thought of it out of their minds, she'd embraced it. Why deny what was destined to happen?

The boy next to her had his arm around her shoulder, trying to comfort her. She didn't need him to calm her, but this was the love of her life and so she lied about her fear and he fell for it. The girl looked around at her peers. They were breathing heavily and tears streaked down their red faces. She sensed their emotions. They were fearful for the lives they would not live, longing for the loved ones they would never see again, and numb from the events they had already witnessed.

About and hour had passed in silence. It was seven at night and everyone would have been home for now if it weren't for this. The girl wondered what she might be doing right now if it had been a normal day. No answer came to her and a groan outside the classroom interrupted any further thoughts. Her classmates went still and prayed it wasn't what they thought it was. The girl knew it was exactly what they were all dreading.

The door handle rattled.