CHAPTER TWO - rescued

Y/n and Rose were readying themselves for dinner.

"The last thing I want to be doing is going to yet another first-class dinner..." Rose said, putting on her earrings.

Y/n laughed. "Get used to it, there will be quite a few more meals during our stay here."

~~~~~~~~

About half-way through the dinner, Y/n excused herself.

As she walked out, the tears began to spill. She felt trapped. She wanted an escape. The tears flowed, and she took her hair down, letting it flow.

~~~~~~~~

Jack was staring up at the stars when he heard heels click as someone ran past. He got up to investigate. That same girl he saw earlier was climbing over the railing, presumably going to jump.

He approached slowly. "Don't do it."

The girl pinched her lips together, and stared back at him. "Why do you care whether I do it or not?"

"Well, it would be silly not to care. After all, if you really intend on jumping, I feel it would be my fault." Jack said.

She let out a breathy laugh. "As much I appreciate your concern, I... I must do this."

Jack sighed. "Just climb back over the rail... Give me your hand... if you don't, I'm gonna have to jump there after you. I'm too involved now." Jack removed his jacket.

"Don't be absurd... you'll be killed!" She glanced at Jack.

"I'm a good swimmer." Jack began untying his boots.

"The fall alone will kill you!" The girl pointed out.

"It would hurt. I'm not saying it wouldn't. To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned about that water being so cold." Jack took off his boots.

She paused for a moment, glancing down into the ocean. "How cold?"

"Freezing. Maybe a couple degrees over. You ever, uh, been to Wisconsin?" Jack asked, his boots now fully off.

Her eyebrows furrowed together. "What?"

"Well, they have some of the coldest winters around. I grew up there near Chippewa Falls. I remember when I was a kid, my father... we went ice fishing out on Lake Wisota. Ice fishing is where, you know—"

"I know what ice fishing is!" She snapped.

Jack's eyebrows quirked up. "Sorry... you just seem like, you know, kind of an indoor girl. Anyway, I, uh... I fell through some thin ice. And I'm telling you, water that cold, like right down there, it hits you like a thousand knives stabbing you all over your body. You can't breathe... you can't think... At least not about anything but the pain. Which is why I'm not looking forward to jumping in there after you. Like I said... I don't have a choice. I guess I'm kinda hoping you'll come back over the rail and get me off the hook here."

"You're crazy..." She breathed.

Jack quirked a smile. "That's what everybody says, but... with all due respect, miss, I'm not the one hanging off the back of a ship here. Come on... give me your hand. You don't wanna do this." Jack offered his hand to her.

She let go, placing her hand in his.

They stared into each other's eyes. "I'm Jack Dawson."

She smiled. "Y/n Dewitt-Bukater."

"I'm gonna have to get you to right that one down." Y/n laughed at this.

"Now, come on." Jack said. Y/n placed her foot on the rail, but slipped on a piece of her dress, falling.

She screamed. "Help me!" She dangled, being held by Jack.

"Listen, I've got you. I won't let go. But, I need you to pull yourself up, alright?" Jack said, mildly panicking.

She listened, and Jack pulled her over the rail. He laid her on the ground.

"What's all this?" A crew mate said. "Stand back! And don't move an inch! Fetch the Master-at-Arms!"

~~~~~~~~

Y/n was wrapped in a blanket, and Jack was being put in handcuffs.

"This is completely unacceptable! What made you think you could put your hands on my fiancée?" Isaac inquired. "Look at me, you filth!" Sure, Isaac could be kind, but not to the lower classes. He was almost as bad as his brother Cal.

"Isaac, Isaac, stop!" Y/n yelped. "It was an accident!"

"An accident?" Isaac said.

"It was! Stupid, really. I was leaning over, and I slipped. I was leaning far over to see the uh, uh, the um..." She twirled her finger.

"The propellers?"

"Yes, the propellers, and I slipped! I would've gone overboard, but Mr. Dawson here saved me and almost went over himself." Y/n concluded.

"She wanted to see the propellers!" Isaac announced.

"Like I said, women and machinery do not mix." Gracie said.

Y/n rolled her eyes.

"Was that the way of it?" The Master-at-Arms asked Jack.

Y/n gave him a pleading look.

"Yeah, yeah, that was pretty much it." Jack never took his eyes of Y/n.

"Well, the boys a hero then! Good for you, son, well done." Gracie patted his shoulder.

He was released from the handcuffs.

"You must be freezing, come on." Isaac's gaze softened as he looked at Y/n.

"Umm, perhaps a little something for the boy?" Gracie suggested.

"Oh, of course, uh, Lovejoy, a twenty should do it." Isaac nodded.

Y/n laughed. "It that the going-rate for saving the woman you love?"

"Oh... Y/n is displeased... what to do?" Isaac said. "I know... perhaps you could join us for dinner tomorrow night?"

"Sure... count me in." Jack responded.

"Good. It's settled then." Isaac turned to head back.

Jack whistled to Lovejoy. "Can I, uh... bum a smoke?" Jack plucked two cigarettes, and put one in his mouth and the other behind his ear.

"You may want to tie those," Lovejoy gestured to his boots. "It's interesting... the young lady slipped so suddenly, and you still had time to remove your jacket and your shoes." Lovejoy smirked, and headed away.

Jack sighed, taking in the events that just transpired.

He was worried about tomorrow evening.