Chapter 16- The Avatar State

Start from the beginning

My stomach flustered, this side of Sokka made me realize. Maybe, I was developing feelings for him.

"Hey, we are here! There it is!" Sokka shouted pushing my body to the side as he climbed over Appa's saddle to view a huge estate through the clouds.

Okay, he ruined it.

Appa landed near a man with his soldier's close behind him. He greeted us, immediately. "Welcome, Avatar Aang! I am General Fong, and welcome, to all of you great heroes! Appa, Momo, brave Sokka, the beautiful yet fierce Venus, the mighty Katara..."

With crossed arms, Katara grinned. "Mighty Katara? I like that."

A sudden loud explosion could be heard in the distance. We all turned to look at the loud explosion, which appeared to be fireworks.

"Not bad," Sokka says nudging my side with his elbow. "Not bad."

After receiving a warm greeting, we were taken into the base and shown to a spacious room with guards kneeling before us. My friends and I sat on a mattress centered in front of General Fong at his generous desk top.

"Avatar Aang, we were all amazed at the stories of how you single handedly wiped out an entire Fire Navy fleet at the North Pole." General Fong stroked his beard. "I can't imagine what it feels like to wield such devastating power. It's an awesome responsibility."

"I try not to think about it too much." Aang casually spoke.

"Avatar," General Fong, lovingly smiled. "You're ready to face the Fire Lord now."

"What?!" Aang horrifyingly gasps. "No, I'm not!"

Katara holds out her hand in reasoning. "Aang still needs to master all four elements."

"Why?" General Fong questions. "With the kind of power he possesses, power enough to destroy hundreds of battle ships in a matter of minutes, he could defeat the Fire Lord now!"

"But sir, the thing is," Sokka takes a moment to look at me, as if he wants my approval. To encourage him to continue, I nod my head. "Aang can only do those things when he's in the Avatar State."

"See, it's this special state where-"

"I'm well aware!" Aang is interrupted by General Fong's sharp tone of voice. "Your eyes and tattoos glow and you're able to summon unbelievable power. Without you, we'd be slaughtered before we even reach their shores." He looks at a map and guides his finger from the location of the base to the location of the Fire Nation Capital. "But with you leading the way, as the ultimate weapon, we could cut a swath right through to the heart of the Fire Nation."

"Right," Aang says with doubtfulness. "But, I don't know how to get in or out of the Avatar State, much less what to do once I'm there."

"So, it's decided then. I'll help you figure out how to get into the Avatar State and then you'll face your destiny."

My friends quickly rise from the mattress. Sokka's hands reach under both my armpits, helping me up to stand beside him.

"No, nothing's decided." Katara angrily growls. "We already have a plan. Aang's pursuing his destiny his way."

"Well, while you take your time learning the elements, the War goes on. May I show you something?" The general leads Aang to a window as the two stare down from above, having their own conversation.

My head rests on Sokka's arm as I lean in. "Does that man seem crazy to you?"

Sokka stifles a laugh. "Venus, I know crazy. He's not crazy, he just wants to defeat the Fire lord as quickly as possible."