Chapter 16- The Avatar State

Start from the beginning

The nonbender reached out and placed his hand on top of mine. "Maybe, one day, I can cut your hair for you."

I smiled at his sweetness. "I don't really trust you with a knife to cut my hair, but that's really sweet of you."

Silence loomed around us once again, all we could hear were the noises of the wind blowing in our ears. "What was your mother like?"

Sokka raised his eyebrows, surprised by my question.

I noticed the hesitation in him. "I'm sorry, if it's a touchy subject. You don't have to answer, if you don't want to."

"I don't remember much of her," Sokka truthfully confessed. "I-I just, I don't know. I just think she looks like Katara." He shrugged. "That's what I see when I look at Katara, my mother."

Oh, that's so sad.

Sokka and I had slipped into deep topics and conversations. We talked about our past relationships with our parents. I told him all about my dad and how he knew Haru's father and how he died fighting in the war when I was just an infant.

I told him about how my mother struggled with drugs all her life until she met my father, but once he passed away, she started again and went back to pleasing men for money.

I told Sokka about the first time I had been raped and sexually assaulted. so young an age. Even though I don't like to talk about that much, I felt safe and comfortable telling Sokka.

I told Sokka about how I used to self harm, but I only did that once or twice, but that was a long time ago. He seemed very concerned, but I reassured him, I don't hurt myself anymore. The last time I did was before I left Jet to join the Kyoshi warriors.

I also told Sokka about how I met Jet and how quickly attached I got to him. I told him the first time Jet and I did drugs, smoked weed, and drank alcohol together.

Sokka heard about my first kiss and losing my
virginity to Jet. Sokka seemed kind of concerned, since I did lose my virginity to Jet at such a young age, I believe we were both thirteen maybe, but I loved Jet at the time, so I never saw the problem. I just grew up too fast, I guess. I wish I had a childhood like Sokka, it was a bit rocky but not as worse as mine, I'd trade my life with anyone.

Sokka had told me about his childhood. To how he felt when his father had to leave for war and how it crushed him because he was the only older male left in the South Pole, he had to take care of the elderly women and mothers with children, along side with his sister, Katara.

Sokka talked about his father, Hakoda very highly. I thought back to when we first met Bato and how Sokka had insulted me by saying that I was a druggie and because of that, he would never want his father to meet me.

Sokka noticed my sudden mood change and how uncomfortable I looked, but he reassured me that his father would adore me, because what was there not to not like about me?

For some reason, I really wanted to please the person who raised Sokka, so desperately. Why? I'm not really sure myself.

This made me giggle. Despite the ups and downs that Sokka and I experienced together, he was always there for me. He had quite a temper, not much like me, I'm very calm yet sensitive. I don't like to raise my voice and yell at others, that was Sokka's specialty. However, I suppose we balanced each other out. Water and earth?

I rested my head on Sokka's shoulder. "Thank you for always sticking by my side, even if we dislike each other in the moment."

Sokka hesitantly laid his head on top of mine. "I'll always stick beside you, V."