29. His Last Hope

Start from the beginning

- Take him to his room. - orders Vegas, one goes with me, the other stays.

- It's gonna be okay. Don't lose faith. I say before I leave the room.

The nurse takes me to the room, and there I find my parents waiting for me, who are quite angry.

- Rain. - mom's coming up to me. - Where were you? We were worried about you.

- I was at Venice's room. And then to his father. He's very sick.

- Rain, you don't have to think about these people anymore. Look at the state you're in because of them.

I hate what she says, but I don't say anything. I get up and slowly sit on the bed. Mom's making my quilt.

- They're my boyfriend's family, mom. Please be nice to them.

- But...

- Let him go. Looks like they already adopted him. - my father says coldly and nods at me. That's when my mom noticed my ring.

- Rain, what is this? - she's trying to grab my hand, but I'm hiding it under the blanket.

- Nothing.

- Rain, are you?.. - mom gasps and looks at my dad.

- It's a gift, mom. Just a gift, nothing to worry about.

- Too bad. Both my sons are... - my father is turning away from us with disgust. - What will people say?

- Are you more interested in the opinion of people or the happiness of your sons? - I ask offended.

- Don't get cocky, Rain.

- I didn't, dad. I don't care about people. I...

- PA PETE. LEAVE ME ALONE. LET ME GO. I WANT HIM. PA. PA PETE. Noooooo.....

A few days late.

Venice.

I take a damp towel and carefully wash his face, neck, chest and hands. I carefully comb and straighten his hair.

Pa Pete is still sleeping peacefully. The doctors gave us good hopes that the crisis has passed and he can now breathe on his own. They had removed those pipes two days ago, but for some reason Pa Pete didn't wake up. He still didn't want to wake up. But when he does, I want him to see me here with him first, because I know he was the most worried.

The phone in my lap vibrates and I look at the screen.

"Baby, I'm out today."

I smile like a fool. At least he can go home.

"Okay. Go through Pa's room so I can see you."

"Okay"

- Good news?

I raise my head. Pa Vegas enters the room with a huge bouquet of white roses. He wore them every day and changed them, because the front ones withered, and when Pa Pete woke up, he'd swear at him.

- Rain is being discharged today. He'll come by before he leaves.

- That's good. The poor boy's been through a lot because of us.

Pa Vegas puts the new flowers in the vase and throws the old ones away.

- Anything new?

- I cleaned his face and hands. I think it's better now. Why are you alone?

- I left the twins at the University. They missed too many hours. They were grumpy when I told them they weren't coming with me.

- They'll get over it.

You'll remember meOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara