"I'm fine. I just... I guess I'm just hoping someone will show up and save me," he said.

The barista smiled sadly, her eyes gleaming but they weren't as pretty as Devon's eyes. Jesse tried to return the smile but it only looked like a weak smirk. He stuck his hands in his pockets.

"I know how you feel. Is she pretty?"

Jesse jolted upward. How did she know?

"Y-Yeah," Jesse said, scratching the back of his neck, "How'd you know?"

"I just assumed," she said, "the way you've been so persistent to wait for this person to 'save you.'" Jesse made a "hmm" sound between his lips.

After a few awkward moments of silence, the barista cleared her throat and made eye contact with Jesse.

"Well, good luck with you and her," she said.

"T-Thanks," Jesse muttered, and then suddenly blurred, "Have you seen her?"

"Seen who?"

"T-The girl I'm looking for..." Jesse said helplessly, "Her name's Devon. She has long blond and brown hair, it's like dyed right down the middle, and she has a bunch of ear piercings and a septum piercing..."

"I know who you're talking about," she said, "but no, I'm sorry, she hasn't been here in a long while. Maybe a few weeks? It's unlike her, she normally comes one to two times a day."

"Yeah." Jesse sighed, "thanks, though."

He slumped back to his table and practically dropped into his seat without any energy at all. He was tired of waiting; where was she? Was she never going to save him? He needed someone to save him from his own fucked up life.

Jesse rummaged through his hoodie pocket and found his cell phone. He hadn't used it in the past couple weeks, not knowing it was there. He held down the side button to turn it on and suddenly a bunch of notifications appeared on the screen.

He tapped on them to view who had been messaging and calling him, and he noticed that one cell phone number had called him four times the same day he had met Devon. Was that her number? What did she need that night? She hadn't left a voicemail or anything. Jesse sighed. He thought about calling the number but didn't want to come off as needy. Sometimes people just have busy lives.

Even so, it seemed a little odd to have gotten four calls from her and then not seen her at all anytime afterward. A shiver shot up Jesse's arms. He hoped she was okay...

~~~

Devon [2 weeks ago]

Blood was everywhere, but Devon didn't care. She was used to this feeling and it was what she wanted. She honestly felt relieved to be feeling nothing, the numbness of her practically ripped-open arm, the dizziness and her heart beating through her skin and blood. She could see something moving inside her arm but she couldn't tell what it was with all the blood in the way.

Her eyes fluttered as she struggled to stay conscious, blood spurting over her carpet and clothes. She smiled weakly, accepting her death, ready to leave the world. She, for fun, stretched out her other hand almost drunkenly in front of her and touched her deep cut. At first she didn't feel anything, and she continued to poke and prod at the skin and the opening and the fat and blood inside of the cut.

Suddenly, though, the pain began to sear through her arm to the rest of her body, and she pulled away her fingers quickly, which were covered in dark blood. She cried out softly for help, for the pain to go away, but no one answered her. She tenderly touched the cut again but it still hurt. She rolled over on the ground, not being able to escape the pain no matter how hard she tried.