IX: His Poisoned Rose

Gusion sat there inside the Paxley carriage, feeling like he was suddenly pinned down by a heavy burden.

"Could you stop staring at me like that?!" He ordered to both Vermilion and Dyrroth. "I won't do that."

"Oh, you will." Dyrroth smirked.

"Am I seriously hearing this from the both of you?" He looked at them in disbelief. "Need I remind you both that you literally want me out of the picture back when Guinevere and I had something. And now that she's evil, you're suddenly pushing me towards her?!"

"Yes, I hate to admit it." Dyrroth said.

"But you are Guinevere's one. great. love."

"And now you two are suddenly best buddies." Gusion said with sarcasm.

"I've been cleaning up her mess for a couple of years now." Dyrroth said.

"That's a surprise."

"Alright, I admit I did some awful things in the past? But at least I was discreet about it. Guinevere killed whenever she felt like it, regardless of how many people sees. It's been revealing our hideout that we had to transfer camp sooner than expected."

"Wait, why haven't we heard of this?" Vermilion asked.

"I told you. I've been cleaning her mess." Dyrroth said and turned to Gusion. "So when will you start doing this?"

"I am engaged. If you guys didn't ruin my wedding, I would've been married!"

"Then it's a good thing we ruined it."

"You're crazy."

"Gusion, can't you see?" Vermilion blurted out. "Everything she had been doing since she came back to the public was taunt you."

"Should I be honored?"

"Yes." Dyrroth answered. "She has no empathy but she clearly remembers everything before that. And clearly she hates seeing someone that's hers being claimed by somebody else."

"Gee. I should be happy then." Gusion said sarcastically.

"We could start with that emotion. Turn that selfishness around. And maybe she will start caring."

"We can't do that. She'll kill me before that happens."

"Killing you would snap that barrier open. It's my last resort."

Gusion frowned as he stared at Dyrroth in disbelief. "And clearly, you're very honest."

"Just do your best. We will do our part." Dyrroth glanced at Vermilion who nodded in understanding.

"Is this a silent pact of the heart broken?" he couldn't help but tease.

Vermilion stared at him coldly. "I will help this guy bury you six feet underground if you taunt me again."

"Clearly the Duke of Castle Aberleen and the Prince of the Abyss are plotting against me."

"Well then, I'll see you both at your Princess' Coronation." Dyrroth said and exited the carriage.

************************************************************

Gusion was irritated.

Not only because House Vance had chosen not to attend the Princess's Coronation after Lesley's shooting incident, but also because his brother had been watching him, always present in the background, staring as if to remind him of his task for that night.

He ended up at the banquet table getting himself his fifth glass of white wine after hiding away from his fiancee.

"The Baroques are here." Vermilion, after lingering around him from a distance, finally came next to him and making the mini strawberry tart in front of him as an excuse.