| 003 | settle in¹

vote and comment! you're perfect, love you<3

Lockwood -- after awhile of awkward silence -- swiftly swiped the cup from your hands and placed it back on the table. Lucy shifted in her seat, crossing her legs and picking at her nails. George looked left to right, scrunching his nose. It was as if you could hear each and everyone's heartbeat, a thump that crawled up into your throat.    

The air was tense, still and warm. You didn't like this bit of it, where everyone decided if you were worthy of their time. 

At last, the pesky ticking of his foot came to a stop when Lockwood clapped his hands onto his knees. He glanced between the two of you, tilting his head. "The two of you wouldn't mind sharing the attic, would you? We don't have any extra rooms to sleep, unless you count the parlour." He bit the inside of his cheek, clicking his heels and muttering. "Though I doubt you wouldn't mind, who wouldn't?"

Lucy looked to you, and you merely shrugged. Sure, she was a stranger, but on the bright side, she wasn't the worst. You had nothing to fear.

She turned to Lockwood, scratching the back of her neck. "I assume there will only be one bed in the attic."

"Only one frame," he corrected. "But we've got plenty of mattresses. Frames don't cost much -- George and I have only procrastinated going out and buying another." He cracked his knuckles, making eye contact with George, who continued the sentence they both seemed to be thinking. 

"We weren't expecting two people to be joining us." Standing, he excused himself from the room. You watched him walk out of the living room and turn down the hall, presumably to the kitchen.

Lockwood clapped his hands, shaking his head. "Lucy has already agreed to being a member of the team, but I've got to know if you do too."

"Er, yes," you said. 

With the confirmation, he arose and straitened his suit jacket. "Let's get on with the tour, then."

Lucy stood, too, and you quickly followed, making sure not to stray behind. You played with the hem of your shirt, rocking on your heels when she stopped in front of you. 

"I can understand why you might think our setup's a little unusual," Lockwood said.

You glanced in the large mirror to your left, locking eyes with Lucy's reflection. She gave a soft smile and then turned, facing Lockwood, who stepped up only two stairs before spinning and speaking again.

"We're a new agency, been registered three months. We're accredited with DEPRAC, but we're not on their payroll like Fittes or Rotwell." He whirled back around, continuing up the steps but halting at the top. "We're independent, and we like it that way."

You trailed after Lucy, following her line of sight to the wall, where numerous news paper clippings hung. Your hands dragged up the rail as you went up, looking over her shoulder to get a better view.

As it turns out, Lockwood, as a young teen, participated in fencing. The head title a mere: TEEN PRODIGY SLAYS THE COMPETITION with a black and white picture of him. He couldn't be more than fourteen in the photograph. 

Lucy straightened, continuing moving up the stairs until you were the last to arrive. "Who are your supervisors?"

Lockwood shrugged. "No supervisors here. No adults. It's my company, hence the name. That bother you?"

You waved your hand dismissively. "Not in the slightest."

Lucy hesitated. "Uh... Sounds all right."

"Bathroom," he said simply, pointing down the stairs. "My room," he looked to the room with its door open, "George's room," and then to the one with its door closed. "Wouldn't go in without knocking. Walked in on him doing yoga once, totally naked. Got quite an unusual view." He laughed weakly, patting down his trousers and spinning on his heel.