For a moment, I contemplated. Then, I answered.

"No," our professor looked at me as I continued, "because it would be unfair to say that a group of people who claim to be enlightened decides for every single person in a society. I understand that the role of leaders is to make decisions that would benefit everyone or the majority of people. However, what is a leader without their followers? Not having the humility to listen to people's voices just proves how unworthy a person is to be a leader."

Our professor cocked his head to the side. "But Plato argues that the rulers know what's the real definition of right and wrong, why won't the followers just listen?"

"Because a couple of philosophers can never truly know what is good and right for each citizen, right and good are subjective to many. There may be normative good and right actions but circumstances vary. A house given to the poor for free might sound good, but for a businessman who owns many lands that create houses, it might sound bad for the business."

"Isn't that exactly why we need to trust the rulers? Because they won't let the rich reign over society."

"Even if that happens, every person has free will. I firmly believe that a personality of a person does not equate to them deserving to be coerced, everyone deserves to choose for themselves. They deserve to choose who will lead."

Tumango ang prof ko at pinaupo na ako. He called another student.

"Of which arguments of Plato do you agree with and why," tanong niya habang tumatayo ang kaklase ko. "Injustices occur when you do something out of your nature, hence I agree with Plato's three-split society."

"Elaborate." Our prof muttered while walking in the middle of the room.

"I learned from Ethics last semester about the Myth of the Three Metals. Some people are born to be leaders, some are to be nation-fighters, and the rest, as craftsmen or workers. Leaders should be chosen by people with enough intellectual understanding of politics, economics, social topics, health, justice, and other relevant factors to consider. Whoever is chosen must be someone who's a philosopher, someone who does the job of a leader or ruler for the sake of doing the utmost good. When a worker wants to be a leader even if they lack the experience and philosophical views, then many things can go wrong for a state. Hence, injustices rise to life."

"So, you disagree with Ms. Madrigal? That every person must have the right to choose who their leader should be?"

"I do."

Tumango ang professor at pinaupo na ang kaklase ko. Marami pang tinawag si Sir hanggang sa mag-ten minutes before the end of the period. Pinayagan na kaming umalis dahil iba-iba ang classrooms na pupuntahan namin para sa susunod na period. 'Yong iba, pupuntang RH, 'yong iba pa, sa Pedro Gil side ng UP naman.

"You'll probably receive an apology from my fucker of a cousin later," kumunot ang noo ko sa winika ni Lara nang makalabas kami ng room. "I messaged him, scolded him for his parents."

"Hindi mo naman siya... tinakot, 'di ba? You know, the blackmail thing," umiling si Lara. "No, ayaw mo naman, e. 'Tsaka, ayaw ko na pilitin 'yon kung iinsultuhin ka lang. Hindi mo naman na rin gustong magpaturo sa kaniya, 'di ba?"

Tumango kami habang papasok sa GAB. "Titiisin ko na lang, pipilitin ko na talaga si Dad na turuan ako by this weekend."

"Pa'no ka pupunta ng UP Fair? Hindi ka makasasabay sa 'kin, e, since we have classes and all." I fixed my backpack. "Kuya Eli will fetch and bring me home on the Wednesday concert, tapos si kuya Ed naman sa Friday."

Inakbayan ako ni Franko at nagsalita. "Inom tayo sa Friday, isabay mo na lang pauwi 'to, Lara," siniko ko nang bahagya ang kaibigan. "She has dinner on Fridays, tanga."