Your Missteps Are Catching Up (Chapter 14)

Start from the beginning

"I'll get medical supplies with Minka."
Mint announced before they turned away

"I- uhm am fine. It doesn't matter! We need to focus on our mission after all."
Bubble said trying to sit up as it gave a painfully weak smile

The door to the shop opened once again a loud ringing filling our ears.
It was Ink, its eyes quickly landing on us.

"H-hey, guys I'm a bit late today."
It squeaked innocently

Confusion slowly formed on its face that slowly twisted into concern as it got closer to us.

It took a second for Ink to understand as it climbed up and its eyes landed on Bubble's poor form.

It froze, all its muscles tensed as a visible shudder ran up its body. Its eye was torn wide open with such sharp edges that made any other serious expression look light-hearted.

You could practically see all colour drowning from Ink's body as piles of sweat formed on it.

"n-no...."
I thought for a second I heard it mumble

"BUBBLE!! BUBBLE WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED?!"
It suddenly burst out in disbelief

Bubble looked away trying its best to avoid Ink's gaze.
"No- d-don't loOk AWay nOw. You can talk to me- please what happened?"
Its small voice broke as it loomed over the smaller Mokkes bruised body. However, it stayed silent, tears long dried as it continued to avoid everybody's eyes.

"Bubble we are all Mokke even if you don't tell us...I think we all have a picture of what could have happened."
Cotton spoke bitterly reminding all of us of the unavoidable truth. If some ghosts had a bad day and you as a helpless little creature passed them it wasn't unlikely that they would take their anger out on you.

"Just...leave me alone."
Bubble mumbled hiding in the cushions

"Here, this should heal its wounds quicker. "
Minka said, pushing a tiny vile wrapped with coffee-coloured paper in my hand.

I opened the vile not sure what to do with it.
"Just rip off some of the paper, put a few drops on it and apply it to the injured spots. The paper should stick to the spots if done right."
She explained before excusing herself from the scene.

As I fixed up Bubble I started filling everyone in on our huge progress and our missteps today.

The mood seemed to lighten at first, everyone chattered and joked but as I continued to tell more and more, their thoughts and comments became less and less.

Silence slipped into our conversation. Tick, tick, tick, my hand drummed on the wood frame of the sofa. There was no yelling, no cheering, no scolding just looming faces and my thoughts. They became faster and more distorted the more seconds passed.

This was an unspoken message, the feeling of disappointment suppressed my overwhelmed thoughts with every connection my mind made.

The mood in the room had long shifted when It had finally stabbed me, painfully, quick and hard. What happened today was a bigger fuck up than I had registered.

Feelings of helplessness and stupidity whirled around my stomach.

"We-...hmm. We can fix this, common guys what's with all this depressive silence? We hit one low and none of you can cheer anymore? As long as we aren't exorcized we'll keep on pushing! Now we just have a stricter time limit but that was inevitable, we are halfway there!"
Cotton spoke up, the others slowly lifting their Mokke ears.

"Exactly, what are you guys? A bunch of COWARDS?"
The injured Mokke yelled

"Well- kind of weeeeee areee..."
Ink mumbled, dragging its words

"Shut it Ink!"
Bubble yelled annoyed while Mint and Cotton giggled amused

"Now say it with me, MOKKE WORLD DOMINATION!"
It continued making us all smile as we yelled
"MOKKE WORLD DOMINATION!!!"

"There we go!"
I give Bubble a quick pat as its energetic Aura returned after all the bandages were applied.

"Heh, thanks!"
Bubble chirped its voice being drowned out by the ringing of the bell.

"There is lots of rush today."
I point out with a sigh as I turn around to look at the new guest.

A shudder ran down my back, my breath caught in my throat. My missteps were catching up to me faster than I could have expected as my eyes land on Teru.

"Quick EVerYbOdy scatter!"
Bubble whisper yelled

Luckily we were in the far back of the shop where he couldn't immediately see us, giving me and Mint a few seconds to disappear.
I didn't see where to Mint went while I dug myself into the cushions. Surrounded by pillows it was dark and warm, the wait continously pressing me deeper into the sofa.

"Ouch"
A voice squeaked as I shifted in position

"Bubble? What are you doing in here, there is no need for you to hide."
I whisper making it mumble back

"Got caught up in the heat of the moment. However, I can't leave without giving your location away...sorry?"

"Just stay still."
I sigh before peeking out from the cushions together with the Mokke

Minka immediately noticed Teru's presence, walking up to him she asked
"Ohoho, if it isn't the Exorcist! Will it be the usual?"

Her voice was enthusiastic but yet there was some kind of tension behind it.