Mindoro Sling (A Short Story)

Just another ordinary Friday night with my friends at the same rendezvous, the bar. Here I am again doing my thing. Getting drunk and wasted. But no matter how many times I get intoxicated, the pain from the past still there, and by the time I wake up at the morning, the situation is still the same. I will never get her back in my arms again, because she is already there somewhere above the clouds with the almighty.

 I always say to this to myself when I’m alone and bored. “Glendale Custodio, are you ready to be in love again?”  Its been a year since my wife died from an illness. I wish I could turn back time again and again.

12 midnight  Saturday I asked my friend Steve and Eric if they could come with me to the club and maybe have some good time and also get laid at that night. The bright lights inside are giving me that feeling that I’m high and energetic, dancing with some random girls. It feels like paradise when I’m in the middle of the dance floor, so many voluptuous girls, wearing their high heels with a matching short cocktail dress. While I’m looking for some sloppy girls to get my adrenaline pumping. I saw this one long legged girl in a red cocktail dress, dancing with her friends.

I wanted to dance with her, so I went to her and danced. After tiring minutes of saltation, I asked her if she wants a drink, and she said a glass of Mindoro Sling is fine to her. Then we go back to dancing, have a little conversation, but within that talk I didn’t even asked her name because of the loud music, and then we bought some more drinks and things are getting a little kinky. Our faces to close to each other like we are already kissing, my hands on her waist, her hands on my shoulders and the music gets us offbeat, and after more drinks I didn’t know what happened at that time. By the time I woke up at noon, I noticed that I was only wearing my underwear, and when I came to the bathroom I saw those kiss marks on my neck, I guessed something nasty must’ve happen to us with that girl. That drink sure gave us that good feeling. I found some piece of paper on my table. There was a number on it. Maybe its her number let me try calling that later. I asked my friends what happened that night and both of them just said, dude you really had a good time that night.

 Hours have passed I still don’t know when I will call that number on that piece of paper. Maybe right now, 9 in the evening. I dialed the digits, she didn’t answer it, after 2 missed calls from me, she finally answered the phone. She’s asking me “who am I do I even know you?” And I just said I just checked this number to know who this is, and I asked her if she was the girl that I danced with last night. She said she doesn’t know because she was to loaded last night to remember such thing. And I asked her maybe we could have dinner tomorrow evening. And she said yes then our conversation ended.

That evening came, all geared up. And  sadly she didn’t showed up. I called her then she said to me that she was busy at that. And I finally grab the moment to ask her name at last, I forgot to ask her name when I called her. We set another dinner meet up at Wednesday evening. And she did the same again. With the same reason. And again on Friday. I even cancelled my drinking sessions with my friends at the pub. I was getting tired and upset of the same excuse. Then she said on my last call to her Saturday evening that’s final, I’ll meet her at the waiting shed near Naval Street, if she didn’t show up I will not call her again.

I’m wearing my best polo that time. She’s getting a little late, I’ve been standing here at the waiting shed for 30 minutes,and I’m getting a little upset. After 45 minutes of waiting I saw this girl with a brown and straight hair named Krizzia, That feeling of getting tipped over went off when I saw her face. We just had a simple dinner that night, having a get to know chat it was just a friendly date.

I was happy that night. I’ve never been this happy since my wife died. I asked her while we’re on our way home if we could do this again. She said yes.