Chapter 2 - The Flight

Start from the beginning

“Nice to meet you, I’m Liam”

Liam's POV

 Nat had drifted off to sleep a while ago, her chest slowly rising and falling with the occasional flutter of her eyelids when she shifted in her seat. We had conversed for a while but we stopped relatively  early because Nat was tired. I had only just met her but she was one of the cutest girls I had ever laid my eyes on. Her unruly blond hair, longs lashes and those eyes…….they were mesmerising. 

And one other thing that surprised me a little, was how she didn't show even a small sign of recognition. It had to mean that she was either a skilled actor or she really didn't know who I was...this simply attracted me to her more.

I watched as she smiled a little in her sleep and shifted yet again yanking up some of her blanket to expose her brightly painted toes. She wrestled around a little until finally her head softly rested on my shoulder, her lips an inch from my collarbone and her warm breath fanning my neck. I was a little stunned by the contact, but loosened up as her breathing slowed pace and I allowed myself to relax. I peeked down at her; a grin spreading across my lips, she looked absolutely adorable.

Grabbing my iPhone I decided to get some rest myself so I shoved in the ear buds. The rhythm beat and thumped while a sweet tune dribbled out of the earphones, seeping into my head whilst I allowed myself to drift me off to another place……

Nat's POV

I suddenly became aware of my left arm. There was a light, jabbing on my forearm and I strenuously convinced my left eye to peek open. Remembering where I was, I sat up and rubbed my eyes awake. 

"Nat, I'm so sorry to bother you. I need to use the restrooms." He had an awkward smile on his face, indicating embarrassment over the subject matter.

I turn my head towards him to answer but was stopped by a sudden stab of pain shooting through my neck.

“O um…Liam was it?" I mumbled whilst rubbing my sore neck – I must have slept awkwardly. 

“I just need to go use the loo." He smiled once more.

"Oh! Sorry, let me get out your way." I quickly undid my belt and stood up, giving him space to move. As he got up he smiled a thank you and walked off. I watched him wind his way through the cabins; his smile had left my heart fluttering…which was unusual. I hadn’t felt this way in a long time, not since Luke.... I shook the thought away sternly, he was my past and moving on was the only option. 

Not a second after I had taken my seat, a pair of boys walked up to my aisle and stopped right next to me. So close, I could feel the curly haired guys breath. 

I looked up intently. 

"Can I help you?"

I tried to sound polite but honestly I was a little creeped out; these strangers were a little too close for comfort…

"Well, hello there gorgeous. My name's Harry and this is Louis. We're looking for our pal Liam. He's supposed to be sitting here." I took a moment to evaluate the two. The boy who introduced himself as Harry, had emerald green eyes, a curly hairdo and sported a cheeky smirk. The other one, Louis, had his hair up in a quiff and displayed a peach fuzz of stubble. He was slightly shorter than Harry and wore a pair of suspenders. This was quite a strange accessory for someone his age.

"Sorry, he went to the bathroom. He'll be back in sec." I replied quickly, and my obvious checking out of the pair didn’t go unnoticed as Harry’s smirk widened. 

"AWESOME! Look Harry we found Liam's seat! High five!" exclaimed Louis as they smacked each other’s hands loudly. 

I peered around to see if Liam was coming so I could get back to sleep and these boys, as cute and quirky as they are, were not helping. A wave of relief washed over me as I spotted him making his way to the pair in front of me.

"Harry, Louis...what have you done?" He sounded genuinely concerned. 

"LIAM! I am offended! We haven't done anything! Well...not yet we haven't!" Louis and Harry exchanged cheeky looks.

"Boys, just get back to your seats." He sighed.

"You're no fun Liam! We came here to see you." Harry looked disappointed. "C'mon Lou, we don't need him! After all, he did choose to sit with Niall instead of us! And look what happened, Niall didn't even end up coming! He stayed back for Zayn! Whatever his loss..."  And with that, they walked off back to their seats. 

"Sorry ‘bout that. My band mates….well they’re mischievous. Trouble just has a way of finding them…um…what did they say to you?"

"Oh nothing, they were looking for you. You're in a band? What do you sing? Or do you play an instrument?" he chuckled at my enthusiasm and in response my cheeks decided to flush red.

He smiled; 

"Yeah I'm in a boy band, there are 5 of us and we all sing. Well, Niall, the one who was originally booked for your seat, plays the guitar but that’s about it. Oh, and Louis plays the triangle." He winked at the last part and  my heart fluttered ridiculously. 

"Oh that's really cool! I really want to get into the music industry. Well, I want to get a degree in sound engineering. I'm applying for a course at Manchester University. Anyway, is your band popular?

The corner of his mouth perked up.

“Oh, we have a few fans.