Eli's shoulder's slump as he releases a breath. "My girlfriend and I got into a big argument before practice. I just—I can't get the image of her teary eyes out of my mind. I think I really hurt her this time, Cap."

"Oh," Romeo mumbles. He pushes rebel strands of hair away from his forehead and frowns. "I'm sorry, mate. You know how I don't like when you come into practice with heavy hearts because you can't focus afterwards." He scratches the back of his damp neck. "I'm bad at the girlfriend thing, but can I do something to help?"

The sophomore raises his shoulders in a small shrug, still not meeting his captain's eyes. He keeps his gaze focused on his skates, his voice quiet as he speaks. "I don't think so, but thank you. I really appreciate you."

Romeo rubs his defenseman's back. "Hang in there, bud. Buy her some flowers—chicks love those."

Curiosity coats Eli's tone as he peers at the brunet. "Does your girlfriend appreciate it when you give her flowers? What are her favourites?"

Romeo snorts, standing to his feet. "I don't have a girlfriend, Eli. I'm focused on the NHL."

"Right," the younger player nods. "Thanks, Cap."

"No problem," he replies with a wink. "Take a breath. Get some fresh air. Make a call or two, and come back when your mind's clearer. We have a game to win tomorrow and I won't be pleased if we mess it up because of some broken hearts."

Eli's face lights up as he jumps to his feet. "Does that mean I'm playing tomorrow?"

Romeo's eyebrows are high with amusement. "We'll see after practice."

The captain of the hockey team watches Eli press his phone to his ear as he marches towards the entrance, slightly wobbling on his skates. Just as he passes the front door, someone enters. Someone who instantly catches his attention. With her dark brown hair and chocolate eyes, her lips are pursed into a frown as she scans the packed ice rink.

From the other side of the room, Isla catches Romeo's gaze. Hazelnut meets ocean blue, and the world ceases to exist. If only time would pause, too. For a fragment of a second, her features brighten up at the sight of his smile. But as soon as she realises where they are, she puts on that tough façade he has become accustomed to.

Romeo waves his hand, energetically so, but she instantly looks away, which makes him laugh out loud.

He enjoys the sight of her scowl whenever their gazes collide. Enjoys seeing her act as though she isn't affected by his pretty smiles—but he knows she'll eventually break those walls down.

When he reaches her, she completely ignores him, a book clutched to her chest. Whilst she holds her chin high, Romeo can't help but admire the delicate curve of her jawline and the enticing shape of her button nose.

"Hey, stranger," he murmurs, leaning closely until his breath fans on the shell of her ear. The sweetness of her fragrance engulfs all of his senses, awaking a trail of nostalgia in its wake as it instantly reminds him of warm summer nights.

Isla jumps with a start and swats the book at his chest, making him groan as he rubs the spot where she has hit him. "Are you mad?" she hisses, eyes wide with surprise. "Don't do that."

"What?" he teases with a mocking smile. "Call you a stranger? Didn't you call me a stranger the other night?"

"I did." She narrows her eyes, and Romeo can't help but love that look of annoyance on her. "Don't sneak up on me like that."