chapter seven

❝  Careers are idiots, who dedicate their lives to die for rich people's entertainment

  Careers are idiots, who dedicate their lives to die for rich people's entertainment.

    — Wren Madden

____________________

"AND HOW CAN I do that?" Ashton asks, and I can help but let out a smirk.

"You want me to help you gain Haymitch's trust," I state, and Ashton nods, "So, I want you to teach me how to work a weapon."

He steps back. "You know I can't do that. I'm going to be a career. Anything else."

I grit my teeth. Of course. One thing about me though, is I am a pretty good judge of character.

I can see right through his lies. He doesn't want to help me. He's going to do the exact opposite of what I say. So I rephrase my request.

"Then help make the Capital love me during your interview. Bring me up and I'll help you," I propose.

I figure-best case scenario he gets me some sponsors, and worst case scenario he does some dumb shit that makes everyone hate me. But hey, Johanna Mason am I right?

"Deal," Ashton replies, snapping me out of my thoughts, and I flash him a small smile before slamming the door in his face. God. He's annoying.
__________________________________

"Haymitch! God can I eat one of my last meals in peace," I yell, taking a giant sip of coffee and burning my throat- coughing nonstop.

"You okay, sweetheart," Haymitch smirks.

"Yea- Just- Peachy," I say in between coughs.

"Don't wake everyone else up now."

"Haven't we already discussed our strategy?" I ask, annoyed to be woken up once again.

Haymitch dragged me out of bed extra early again today to discuss strategy.

"Do you want to die," Haymitch asks, lowering his eyes- I begin to speak, but he cuts me off.

"That was rhetorical. Let me rephrase." He lowers his voice a tad, "Don't be an idiot. Don't burn your throat. Yes, we've discussed, but we've only gone into the basics. Now during the bloodbath-run, don't fight. We don't want you to expose your skills early on. Don't let Ashton know- and don't trust the boy. I'm pretty sure his story is a lie. I found out about his "girlfriend" from a friend back in 12. She does not exist."