Final Selection

Y/n's mask: (Can change)

Tanjirō: (Narration) The reason I won

Tanjirō: (Narration) The reason I won... was because I learned to detect the scent of the opening thread. When I'm battling someone and I pick up this scent, then I can see the thread. The thread is connected from my blade to my opponent's opening, growing taut the instant I see it. My blade is drawn toward it with great force, and then I slash the opening.

~In the forest~

Tanjirō has cut the boulder in half successfully. Urokodaki walks toward him. 

Tanjirō: "Mr. Urokodaki..." 

Urokodaki: "I had no intention of sending you to the Final Selection. I didn't want to see children die anymore. I was sure you wouldn't be able to slice this boulder, but..." 

Urokodaki pats Tanjirō on the head. 

Urokodaki: "Well done, my boy. Tanjirō, you're... a remarkable kid." 

Tanjirō tears up. Urokodaki hugs him. 

Urokodaki: "Make sure you come back alive from the Final Selection. Both your sister and I will be waiting for you and Y/n here." 

~At Urokodaki's hut~

Urokodaki is preparing dinner. 

Tanjirō: "Wow... What's the occasion? There's so much." 

Urokodaki: "You've completed all your training, so we're celebrating. Don't be shy. Eat up." 

Tanjirō: "Thank you very much!" 

Urokodaki offers a bowl to Tanjirō, and Tanjirō takes it. He eats heartily. 

Urokodaki: Tanjirō... there's nothing more I can do for you. From here on out, you'll be going through such hardship and strife. Your training will seem like nothing in comparison. So for now, at least, you should rest well without a care in the world. 

~Later in the night~

Tanjirō cuts his hair. 

Urokodaki: "Hey, Tanjirō..." 

Tanjirō: "Yes?" 

Urokodaki: "Did you enjoy that hot pot?" 

Tanjirō: "Yes! I haven't had such a feast in so long!" 

Urokodaki: "A growing boy like you with a hearty appetite should get stronger the more he eats, as well as grow bigger in size. But that goes for demons, too. Remember this. Basically, a demon is as strong as the number of humans he's devoured." 

Tanjirō: "So, the more they eat, the stronger they get." 

Urokodaki: "That's right. There are demons who gain power, become able to transform their bodies, and even use strange spells."