Chapter 38- Xavier's Legends

Start from the beginning

Varian tilts his head a bit, analyzing the situation. "No..." He shakes his head and wades into the water. His gloved hands pull the helmet off the guard, revealing that it wasn't a guard at all, but a sack dressed like a soldier. "Huh?" Varian asks, staring at the guard dummy with confusion.

"What in the world?" I mutter. "Why would someone dress up a sack in a royal guard uniform?"

My question is answered when suddenly, we hear the sound of the hot air balloon's burner roaring to life. We all look up in unison and see our hot air balloon soaring away, leaving us behind. My eyes spot Angry and Stan manning the balloon and I scowl.

"What are you doing?!" Xavier cries.

"Looks like we're winning!!" Stan calls back.

Varian rushes towards them, furiously clutching the golden helmet. "YOU'RE PLAYING DIRTY!!" He shouts.

Angry cheekily grins. "There's nothing in the rules that says we can't be smarter than you!!"

"You'll regret this!!" I exclaim.

Xavier sighs as we watch them fly away. "She reminds me of The Legend of Perpetua Demosthenese, the young girl who thought she was smarter than all those around her."

Varian groans and sits down on the riverbank, burying his head in the helmet.

I begin looking around the forest surrounding us, hoping to spy something that could help our crew get back in the race. Suddenly my eyes land on a small rowboat resting against the shore. "Guys, the rowboat!" I exclaim, quickly darting over to the wooden rowboat. I quickly check it over, making sure that there was no damage done to the boat, and sigh in relief when I see the boat was still in working condition. "It's safe! Let's go!" I call to the guys.

Varian and Xavier dash over to the boat and sit inside. "Ugh, this will never catch up to our balloon!" Varian groans.

I pick up two wooden oars and pass one to Varian. "Only if we don't start rowing! Cmon guys! We can still do this, but I need your help!"

Varian looks down at the oar in his hands, then smiles at me and nods. "You can count on me."

"You remind me of your sister sometimes, young princess." Xavier grins.

Varian and I sit side by side in the boat and begin stroking our oars through the water. As our little boat cuts through the river, Varian and I get into a good rhythm with the paddling, and we speed up. Though not nearly as strong, the wind still manages to blow my (hc) hair around; my ponytail dances with the breeze. Without thinking, I instinctively begin humming a gentle tune that eventually ends up joining the breeze, becoming one with the air.

I suddenly notice Varian watching me, a gentle smile on his lips. My tune ceases and I blush in embarrassment.

"Why'd you stop?" Varian softly asks, his blue eyes innocently glimmering in the afternoon sunlight. "It sounded pretty."

I nervously chuckle. "I don't want to be annoying..."

"I could never find your voice annoying, Angel," Varian says, a kindhearted look resting on his face.

My lips curl into a grin when Xavier speaks up from the front of the boat. "This reminds me of The Tale of Heralcinth, the story of a young girl who took a vow of silence."

A sigh escapes Varian.

Suddenly, a flash of purple and gold zooms by. "Whoo-Hoo!!!" A familiar voice calls.

"Rapunzel?" My voice asks nobody in particular. I can't help but wonder how she was going so fast.

"Where'd they come from?!" Varian exclaims. "And how are they moving so fast?" He asks, reading my mind. His eyes suddenly widen and he leans on the edge of the boat to get a better look. "Wait...she has a map." He gasps, outrage flooding his face. "HEY!!! YOU'RE CHEATING!!!"