Chapter 14: The Magnificent July

Start from the beginning

July's thoughts about his birth gave him all the reassurance he needed that he would be able to take care of his family. He watched the ones he loved crying, talking, and hugging, knowing that their reunion was private and that he should take his leave.

He had other things to do. He left his new family and winked into the mortal realm. He landed on a big bed where the bodies of the two sons of the two gods lay.

July landed in the mortal realm perfectly, as to be expected. He was perfect and magnificent in every way. All that knew him reaffirmed this. His spectacular landing at the foot of the bed went unnoticed.

He knew people who would have clapped in delight at such proficiency. Alas, they were all back in the god realm, unaware of such a feat. He would have to ensure that he recreated his landing for all to see.

July, instead of sulking, looked around, and his gaze landed on the ones he loved above all others. He swished his tail, and the blankets pulled up and tucked them in. Who left them in such a state? He would be talking to those three crazy women they call mothers about the care they received from ones such as them.

They were his and should have been taken care of properly. He had a mind to go to them now, but he needed to ensure their safety first. He would have his work cut out for him.

After ensuring their bodies were warm, he was ready to make his rounds. He had learned that human bodies were delicate and needed to be diligent in their care.

He wondered if mothers were given a manual on the care of humans when they were born or did they learn from people as he did from Zeus. Did the human babies communicate their needs through their family bond?

He had so many questions Zeus never answered. Was it different for the Keaakalan? Was he overthinking it all? Zeus never really explained the difference between the Keaakalan and humans other than his owner's race had powers and longer life spans.

He would need to have another discussion with Zeus for clarification. Even after all the millennia, he still needed more time to prepare for the significant undertaking.

He felt he was unprepared to be all they needed him to be. He would do his best since this is why he was created. This job belonged to him, and he would see it through to the end.

Shaking his head in exasperation that his mind continued to wander on things that did not matter. He needed to focus his extraordinary intellect on the task and had kitten duties to attend to. July jumped down.

He wandered from room to room, hoping this was not their home. There was not even a room for him. Where were the things that they should have prepared for him?

He had expected many gifts from his owners on the day he could finally join them. He was saddened but now had the plan to guilt them more for their negligence.

He had needs that had to be met. Where was his servant? Did they not expect him? He knew they were coming. Why didn't they?

Not to mention all the gifts and toys the gods had gifted him over the years. Where were his servant's quarters? Did he have to leave Maah behind? He did not want to train a new servant on how he liked to be scratched and his personal needs.

Irritated, he had expected to be a spoiled kitten and a very entitled cat, and this set of rooms would not do, and he would let them know.

Suddenly July stopped in his tracks. He lifted his nose in the air and growled low in his throat. Something was wrong! Something didn't smell right.

He was born with heightened senses, and he had smelled this before. The one that belonged to him had this lingering scent when he first wrapped his arms around the one he belonged to.