Nora Voss one shot

Nora blinked. The thick pink hair on her shoulder turned a dark brown, and the space around her lit up. She was no longer in a dingy room with two others, but rather on a beach. The sun bled through the narcoleptic sky, making it a vivid orange. No one sat with her, she was alone. In the back of her head, this was a familiar scene, one she'd experienced before but it was one that she only barely remembered. Instead of her regular pajamas, she adorned a cropped shirt and dark shorts. Her drowsy thoughts turned to ones of confusion as she ran her hand through dry sand. Instead of rough, scarred hands, she found soft ones, ones that she remember. Scratched polish covered her nails, that was their only stand out feature. Now she could remember where she was. She was 16 again, and no longer in Sausalito or San Francisco. She couldn't remember the place's name, it'd been so long ago and with all that she'd been through, it didn't actually matter. Birthplaces didn't matter when you were someone like her, the Crash Queens didn't keep track of who they were before the war.

Smoke made its way out from between her lips, a forgotten cigarette in her left hand. Back when she was young and vulnerable, she passed the time with things that'd kill her though all she wanted was to feel alive. At that point in her life, she had no one. People knew her, and she knew them. But her friends were only her friends because she saw them five days a week. Her family was temporary as she prophesied a future with a family made of people who shared no blood between them. Without thinking of it, she put the cigarette out in the sand. Why she was stuck in that moment, she wasn't sure. Some of the spiritual members of the Crash Queens would likely tell her that moment was important, but she wasn't sure why. Without any control of herself, she sat up and shook the sand from her hair, a lock twisting itself around her hand. Dark mahogany. She'd forgotten her natural hair color as she'd bleached and dyed it so many times the brown couldn't make its way out from under the chemicals. A tragedy it was, how she'd tried so hard to erase her past but it always made itself come back.

Sadly, she didn't have the thoughts of her past self so she had no idea why she drew a pocket knife out of her bag, or why she both hands open. She couldn't feel the pain, but she watched as the crimson blood fell from her palms to the sand, staining it red.

'What an idiot.' She thought to herself. Nora rubbed her palms together, covering them with blood as if this was a personal act of blood brothers. Staring at them for a second, she proceeded to wipe the blood onto her shorts. Looking into the distance, she saw nothing. Endless land stretched out, the sky following. The ocean did too, of course. Rough waves washed against the sand, over and over. Turning her head to the skies, the day had finally turned to night. Stars hung in the sky, more detailed than she'd seen in awhile. Cities with pollution drove space away, it was one less thing to care about, though. Cold air brushed her shoulders, and her eyes closed.

When they opened again, she was back where she started. Gripping sheets who belonged to someone who wasn't her, she sat up. A sky hung outside, a sky that she hadn't just seen. This one was gloomy, a dark cerulean without a star in it. The group's home wasn't anything great. Looking out her window, she could see a beach. But it wasn't the beach she'd dreamed of, and it actually had things. An abandoned boardwalk with a gaping hole in it. Little houses she could see, too, though just in front of the beach. An abandoned town was not a pretty sight but her attention was torn from it by the snoring of her fellow gang member. She lay sleeping, probably not dreaming as she never did. It was a blissful sight. It brought Nora back into her sheets, and into a dreamless and comfortable slumber.