ii.

"Guess what!"

There was something different about the girl today. Her enthusiasm was alarming. It shocked a sleepy Y/n awake. She hadn't gotten much rest over the days off and the morning was dragging. Maybe this session would bring the jolt to get her batteries going that she nodded.

"What?"

"We talked again." It was obvious she was grinning. A sly, happy kind of grin. "Like talk-talked kind of talk."

Y/n found her excitement infectious. "Progress."

"I know, right?" She giggled and Y/n could tell she was trying to hide the sound. "She was really sweet. Still a jerk but sweet."

Y/n laughed. Things seemed to be getting better. "What are you going to do now?"

"Ask her out."

Y/n wasn't sure why her stomach fluttered at that. Maybe because she felt like she was part of this journey, too. It made her nervous and excited for the girl. "Whoa."

"Not like that, dingus." She snorted. "I'll start small. I have to be strategic."

That was safer than going from zero to one hundred. She wished them luck. "Go get'em, tiger."

//

"Hey, you."

Y/n knew who it was without having to look up. No one else was this stupidly loud and annoying. And she wasn't in the mood. She was tired and stressed. The last thing she needed was Haerin encroaching on her already poor mood.

"I said, hey, you."

She closed her eyes, wishing this monstrosity would evaporate. It didn't. It stayed there, waiting for acknowledgement. She wasn't the type to ignore someone and Haerin was never and would never be someone she could ignore.

She craned her neck back to look up. "Hi."

"Aren't you going to lunch?"

Most of the class had already filtered out to eat. Few straggled behind, gossiping amongst themselves. Usually, Haerin would be out the door along with the masses, hunting down her friends to spend time with. What was her deal today?

Y/n motioned to the board where their teacher had scribbled the lesson for the day. "I want to finish taking down the notes."

"Say no more." Whipping out her phone, Haerin angled her phone at the board and snapped a few pictures. It was smart. Y/n wondered why she never thought of doing that. "What's your number?"

She blinked. "My what?"

"Your phone number. I'll text the picture and you can finish writing them down later." Her eyebrows lifted, thumb hovering over the screen waiting for Y/n to drop the digits.

Y/n just stared. What sort of parallel universe did she enter? Was this a dream? Did she actually fall into the street and bust her head on the pavement when she slipped on the curb this morning?

Y/n narrowed her eyes. "What are you playing at?"

"I'm trying to go to lunch but you won't hurry up."

"Why do I need to hurry?"

"So we can have lunch together. Duh."

Okay. This was getting weird. She had to place her pencil down to process what was happening. First off, Haerin Kang was voluntarily speaking to her. All on her own. No joke set up, no people to witness, no snide comment. She was just speaking to her and—Y/n had to take a breath for this one-secondly wanted to eat lunch together? As in together, together. Same proximity. Sharing the same air. In each other's company. Her stomach did a weird wavy thing. What?