Chapter 10: Flash Back

Start from the beginning

"Nope, we can't have two kids running through the halls unsupervised. Go ask Capp or Tony to at least walk around with you." Cruz says patting her shoulder.

"Fine come on Brady." Tatiana and Brady go running up the apron to the table.

"I'm Joe, Tatia's uncle," Cruz says reaching a hand out to shake with the other man.

"Nice to meet you. How long has Tatiana been coming to the firehouse?"

"Her whole life. Her dad was maybe a year or so into his career when she was born and spent his whole career at this house. She didn't start spending shifts here until last year though." Joe says looking at where Tatia was pulling Brady inside Capp following behind.

"Well, Brady has been enforcing fire safety rules that Tatiana has taught him all week." Henry laughs. "He even made a plan for in case of a fire. So I should thank you, a lot of the things Tatia told Braden about me and his mom didn't even think about."

"Tatiana has had fire safety drilled in her head since birth it happens when you live with two firefighters and a paramedic most of your life. She loves educating anyone who will listen about fire safety, and calls it her duty as a future firefighter."

"You have a good kid man." He smiles.

"It was all her dad, Brian. I don't think I've impacted her all that much." Joe says softly as they walk inside. "Mouch, You see Tots run through here with a little boy and Capp?"

"Yeah saw them go toward the bunk room."

"Thanks, mouch," Cruz says.

"You said it yourself two firefighters. I'm gonna assume that second one was you. How long have you known her?"

"Her whole life. I was the first person at 51 to meet her." Cruz smiles remembering that moment.

"That means something. Hey Brady how's the tour going?" He asks as the two kids and Capp make it to them.

"Great! Mr. Capp said I could sit in the squad truck!"

"Really? Now that's cool. I'll get a photo for your mom." The two adults follow the kids and Capp out to the rig where Capp lifts them both into the cab.

"This is so cool!" Brady says grazing his hand over the different buttons.

"Hey, can I get a picture of you kids real quick?" Henry asks. Both kids look at him smiling while Capp looks at the phone. "Thank you. Go back to exploring"

"Pull that," Tatiana whispers pointing at the chain. Capp was distracted while saying something to Tony who was at the table. Everyone jumps as the horn goes off while the two kids laugh.

"Braden."

"It was Tots' idea."

"Tatiana."

"It was funny and you know it."

–––Later–––

Brady and Henry left a couple of hours ago. Tatiana was busy hanging out with Mouch playing Mario kart. And Joe was relaxing in the bunk room busy thinking about a lot of things. Mostly Tati. Her birthday is coming up in March which is only two months away and he's been trying to figure out what to do for it. Her big 1-0 double digits. Also her first birthday without her dad. Birthdays with the Zvonecek family were spent similarly every year. He got to spend most of those birthdays with them.

10 months ago, 2019 March 17th

Otis was busy in the kitchen cooking away. Every one of Tatiana's birthdays were spent the same way most years. Breakfast in bed, if Otis had work she'd go to shift with him and have a mini celebration with 51. If he didn't have shift then they did breakfast in bed then they'd go see his mom where she'd open the presents from her grandma, uncles, and his Baba, then they'd go to lunch just the two of them. After they usually meet up with Cruz and hang out doing whatever she wanted, then presents and she got to pick dinner. If she had school he'd usually pick her up early and do everything then. This year her birthday landed on a Saturday he didn't work so they can do everything today. She occasionally did have a party if she asked but for the most part, she liked it how it was. This year was no different except after their lunch Otis is picking up Annabelle and she's having a sleepover with them.

"Smells good whatcha making?" Cruz asks walking in.

"Tots' bday breakfast. Yes, I made extra." Otis smiles at him.

"Where are we meeting after lunch?" Cruz asks stealing a piece of bacon.

"The mall she wants to get her birthday bear from build a bear like every other year then we're gonna go to the arcade there," Otis explains putting the pancakes onto her plate. "I have to go pick up Annabelle first though. So I'll text you when we leave lunch."

"Perfect."

"Is Tots up yet?" Brett comes in smiling holding a gift bag.

"No, I'm just about to go wake her." Otis grins as he turns off the stove. "Help yourselves to some breakfast." He tells them as he picks up her plate smiling before walking off. He walks into the room next to his own. Tatia's room. He flips the light on and walks around the mess of legos she had left out the night before.

"Tater Tot! Wakey wakey I got bakey." Otis says as he makes it to the side of her bed. She having already been awake rolls over looking at her dad with a grin.

"Good morning dad!" Tatia sits up.

"Happy birthday!" Otis smiles putting the tray on her lap. "You're getting old." He jokes sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Not as old as you." Tots laughs taking a bite of her pancake.

"You're lucky it's your birthday. Now eat I saw Sylvie holding a big bag."

Present day, 2020 January

"Uncle Joe!" Cruz breaks from his thoughts and sees Tatia standing there.

"What Chiquita?"

"Dinners done." She says smiling.

"Okay come on. What did gallo make?"

"Meatloaf."

"Ooh. Hey Mija? What do you wanna do for your birthday this year?" He asks as he stands up.

"I don't know... But maybe for lunch, we go visit dad instead?" She asks quietly looking up at him.

"Yeah, I like that idea. Now we better hurry or there won't be any dinner for us."