𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝟖

Start from the beginning

What Friedrich Nietzsche said is true, after all.

——————————————————

In the Infirmary, Wednesday lurched forward in her bed as she tries to steady her breathing. Beads of sweat poured from the goth girl's forehead - trailing down her jawline like an artist fluidly painting down on his canvas.

"Whoa, everything alright, Wednesday?"

The goth girl disregarded the query from the male who stood over her, his expression shifting into a concerned one. Xavier eyed Wednesday - there was confusion and wary in his shoulders - he wasn't fond of the expression the goth girl harbored.

It gave out the sentiment that she had a dark secret.

"Where am I?" her charcoal color eyes landed on him, questioning her whereabouts. Her voice was vaguely gruff.

"Just take it easy," Xavier assured. "You're in the infirmary. The nurse said you don't have a concussion, but you probably have a nasty bump, huh?" the tortured artist illuminated.

Wednesday's brows furrowed, staring at her arm, more pertinent to her forearm, as it was meticulous to her memory before she went unconscious.

"The last thing I remember, I was walking outside feeling a mixture of rage, pity, and self-disgust." Wednesday elucidated, shifting her gaze to him. "I never felt that way before."

Xavier's lips curled into a smile, letting out a truncated chortle "Yeah... That's reasonable. Losing to Y/n has that outcome on people." the goth girl concise the grimace look he adorned.

"And then I looked up and saw that gargoyle coming down and I thought..." Wednesday stopped, odd of the next words coming out of the mouth. "At least I'll have an imaginative death."

"Then I felt a hand grab my forearm. And the next thing I know, I was thrown to the ground - impeding the sculpture from even striking me." Wednesday finished, her attention soon returning to her forearm.

Xavier pursed his lips, unsure of what to reveal to the goth girl. Should he be mendacity to her? Or perchance, tell her the truth it was Y/n?

The tortured artist was cognizant of Y/n loathing attention - substantially from someone who dislikes him. The conflicted questions were soon presentable in his facial features - ones where Wednesday was attentive.

"I know you didn't save me." Wednesday abruptly said, knocking Xavier out of his conflict.

"Ho-"

"I saw him," Wednesday interjected. "His face, the scars, the apathetic expression, and predominantly, his dull gaze."

Xavier tightened his lips and then let out a low relief sigh. "Well, at least I don't have to be untruthful." he cleared his throat. "Yeah, you are right, he did save you."

"Apprise me why you desire to be untruthful?" Wednesday inquire, her impassive stare making Xavier nervous.

The tortured artist took a deep breath. "My objective wasn't to lie to you."

"Sounds puerile."

"I'm being serious, Wednesday. I wasn't going to lie, it's just..." Xavier trailed off as Wednesday waited for him to continue. "Y/n didn't want to be seen as your savior. He just told me to lie and tell you that I saved you."

The goth girl rose an eyebrow at the sudden proclamation. "How so?"

Xavier shrugged his shoulders. "I'm just as befuddled as you. Y/n dislikes garnering attention from people. He didn't seem to have wanted a virtue from you after he saved you. He's observant of you disliking, more now after you lost."