chapter twenty four

Start from the beginning

"I think," said Harry, "that is just another reason why this doesn't work. I love you, Clara, more than anyone I have ever known and I would do anything for you, but I can not justify staying with you when you support a fucking coward who breaks your trust time and time again. I can't do that, and I can't let you risk your life for me hunting Horcruxes if you don't love me. So do you?"

Clara paused, trying desperately to get some more air into her lungs, "Do I what?"

"Do you love me, Clara?"

"Harry-" she started. Clara stepped towards Harry, only to be distanced further by him stepping back again. "You know how I feel about you."

Now, Harry walked towards her, stopping right in front of her. Clara could feel his breathing as if it were her own, as if they were one person. "Clara, say it and I'm yours." he said. It was a barely even a whisper, but still, Harry's plea echoed loudly in Clara's mind.

"I-" said Clara, staring right into Harry's eyes, her breath wavered. She paused for a moment and looked down. When she looked back up, Harry's eyes were still on her. "Harry, please don't do this."

Tears began to well inside of her eyes as she saw Harry's face shift into a stone cold glare. He took a step back and clenched his fist. 

"We're done. This was a waste of time. I should've just sent you an owl." Harry started for the door.

"Harry, wait!"

He paused, looked at Clara, hoping for something she could not give him. She looked at him in desperation, hoping he would somehow let this go, but alas his stubbornness was too strong. 

His face changed once more, and his hopeful look turned back to a scowl. "I'll see you at the funeral." he said coldly. He slammed the door behind him, and Clara shrunk back onto her bed, barely making it to the mattress before she lost her footing.

And with all the crazy situations Clara had been in tonight, this had been by far the worst. 

It was about an hour later when Pansy returned to the dorm room to find a hysterical Clara. She was weeping in her bed, mascara running down her face, tissues scattered around the room. Pansy ran to the bed, patting down Clara's hair and shushing her profusely.

"Fuck me." said Pansy, "Alright, I'm going to get some reinforcements. And ice cream. Lots of ice cream."

Ten minutes later Pansy came back, keeping her promise of both ice cream and reinforcements. Luna followed closely behind Pansy, her long blond hair looking as wild as ever. She jumped onto the bed and instantly Clara flung herself into the arms of her best friend. As Clara sobbed into Luna's arms, Pansy patted her back, trying her best to at least appear helpful.

Clara lifted her head and stifled another sob. Luna shushed her and brushed down her hair. Clara grabbed Pansy's hand and squeezed it, probably harder than she should've. Pansy winced in pain, but stayed there with a sympathetic smile all the same. 

"He-" said Clara, but she was quickly cut off by her own sob, "He broke up with me!"

Another round of cries and sniffles commenced. Luna hugged Clara tightly. "It's okay, it's going to be alright."

"No," said Clara, her voice still shaky but gaining confidence, "No, it's not okay. He thinks he knows everything and he wouldn't even hear out my explanations!"

Clara's sadness was now transformed into anger. Harry had actually broken up with her. He had the nerve to break Clara Dupont's heart? Well, fine, he could do what he wanted, but if he really thought there'd be no consequence, he was sadly mistaken. "Why the fuck would he do this?" asked Clara, to no one in particular.