Chapter 23: Those Eyes

Start from the beginning

"Haitani..." she trailed off with an uncertain, apologetic gaze filling her (e/c) eyes.

"(L/n), I'm serious," Rindo stared back at her in a resolute manner, however, expectantly as well. It frightened her sometimes how serious he gets when he's being genuine. He's patient and calm, yet also determined to get the answers he wants behind those intimidating violet hues.

"I... don't want to talk about it right now, I hope you understand," (y/n) murmured and laid the plastic bag on his bed near his legs. She pressed her lips into a small smile and backed up, "Anyways, I have to pick up my sister from violin practice. I just wanted to check up on you and get you something to snack on cause I think you're getting tired of the hospital food."

"Yeah, it tastes like shit," he commented as his face scrunched up in disgust and stuck out his tongue.

"I would imagine," the (h/c)-haired girl giggled and turned around to open the door, "Anyways, I'll see you tomorrow—"

"Wait, can you at least answer me this," the blonde male piped up whilst she stood still facing the door, "What you said on the phone... was all that true? You weren't joking around, right?"

'Of course it's true...' (y/n) thought but caught herself before she spoke up, '... Why would I joke about that?'

"We'll talk after you're discharged from the hospital..." she murmured and gently laid her hand on the door handle, "Haitani, my feelings for you won't change. I hope that comforts you even if it's just a little bit, so please... rest."

And with that, the (y/h) teen exited the room.

She knew if she talked about it now, her responses would be too emotional and she might ignore her true feelings in order to protect herself. She might spew out some nonsense like 'haha I was kidding,' to ruin a relationship before it even started.

Because (y/n) knew... being in a relationship with Rindo will be the hardest thing she'd ever experience and that incident with Shibuya Shadow proved so. How on that day, the both of them were willing to risk their life for the other without a second thought, and she didn't want him to die for her sake. She thought that it may be easier for him to forget her existence entirely... but she also didn't want that. How ironic.

It was selfish— she knew that— but she wanted to try this relationship, nevertheless.

Meanwhile, Rindo sullenly watched the door (y/n) left at before sighing in disappointment and leaning back on the bed's head rest. His mind made patterns on the textured ceiling above him as he replayed her words. He felt comforted, yes, but not exactly what he wanted to get out of that conversation.

Suddenly, the door slightly cracked open again with a small 'creak!', and Rindo snapped his head around before emitting a frown.

"Why are you looking at me like that? What did I do?" Ran asked in an offended manner and stuffed his hands in the pockets of his hoodie, "Might I remind you, your girlfriend and I saved your dying ass before you would've been off'ed from this Earth."

"Sorry, I just had a lot on my mind," Rindo mumbled, crossed his arms, and looked out the window to his right.

"Oh, speaking of which, I passed her on my way here but she walked right passed me," the older Haitani said and took a seat in one of the guest chairs, "Did you two have a fight already? It's been what— a couple of days since you two became a thing? Maybe even less?"

"Jokes on you, we're not even a couple," the younger boy scoffed and Ran rose a brow in interest.

"Don't tell me you scared her away, you fucking idiot."