Chapter 9: Slow dancing and mistletoe

Start from the beginning

I nodded. "Yeah, you did. After the first challenge here in the hospital wing. You promised me, Sev."

"Well then, I should learn to not make promises I can't keep." He said, impulsively taking my hand. "You know I would do anything to keep you safe."

I frowned, my brow creasing in thought. "I know. And it'll be the death of you one of these days."

"Then so be it." He said.

I squeezed his hand tightly, tears welling in my eyes again. I wiped them away quickly before he could see. I had done enough crying in public for one lifetime and was sick of people seeing me so frail. "You shouldn't say things like that, you know. It might just come true."

Snape changed the subject again. "I'm sorry for ruining your time last night."

I shrugged and let out a small, half hearted laugh. "You didn't ruin it. It already sucked from the beginning if you ask me."

"I know, but you didn't even get to enjoy the good parts because of me." He said, shaking his head.

"That was my choice to stay with you. Plus, it wasn't like it was your fault you're injured. Victor was the one who attacked you." I explained.

He scowled in disgust as I mentioned his name. "Where is the little worm anyway?"

"He ran off after you passed out. I think he's in Dumbledoor's office right now while they're debating whether to expel him or not." I explained.

And I hoped they did expel him, as heartless as that sounded. Or at least take him out of the Triwizard Tournament. It was unforgivable what he did and said to Severus. I didn't care if he was drunk when it happened, that didn't excuse the way he acted. He actually came to visit early this morning, with a supervisor of course. I wouldn't even look at him as he begged for my forgiveness. I think they made him, for I saw no trace of genuine regret in his eyes when he walked in or as he spoke. Victor's voice still had that usual arrogant, self absorbed, confident tone in it, like I was eating out of the palm of his hand. I'm glad I didn't give him the satisfaction of adoring him like a crazed fan girl like he expected me to. What an egotistical douche bag, I thought to myself.

"What's wrong?" Snape asked, snapping me out of my deep thought.

"Nothing." I lied, shaking my head.

He gave me a wry, twisted smirk. "Now who's the one lying to who?"

I shrugged, quickly making up an excuse to cover up my lie. "Oh, I'm just bummed that you have to spend Christmas Day in the hospital wing is all."

"I hate the holidays anyway." He muttered bitterly, eyeing the large decorated Christmas tree on the other side of the wing with such contempt.

I frowned in confusion. "Why?"

He shrugged. "I just do. I always have."

"Don't you have any family to spend the holidays with?" I asked. "No wife? Kids?"

He shook his head solemnly. "I never married."

"What about siblings?" I pried curiously.

Snape shook his head again. "I'm an only child. What about you?"

I sighed loudly, my gaze flickering down to my lap full of damp, tear stained tissues. "Yeah, a step brother. We aren't close, though. His name's Larkin. He hardly ever visits, abandoning me to fend for myself at home. He living in America now with his girlfriend. He works for this major record company or whatever."

"Have you sent him any of your songs to produce yet?" He asked.

I nodded. "Just a couple. He always writes back saying I'm not what they're looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if he reads them at all. They're probably rotting somewhere in a landfill right now."