Book 1 : Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

Ikki tried to follow us inside, but I shut the door in her face.

"Run along, Ikki!" I said through the door. I then looked at Asami who had her back turned away from me.

"So . . . here's your room. I know this is a little rustic compared to what you're used to," I told her.

"I think it's really charming. Thank you for your hospitality," Asami said.

There was a violent knock on the door and I turned around.

"Ikki, I swear if you don't leave us alone, I'm gonna— Tenzin, come right in," I said, my annoyed look transforming into a smile.

"Good day, ladies. Asami, Aiya, welcome to the island," Tenzin greeted.

"Thank you for having us." Aiya and Asami both bowed and Tenzin returned the gesture.

"Beifong's replacement, Saikhan, is going to be inducted as the new Chief of Police later. I think we should both be there," Tenzin said.

"I'll be at the bison stable in a few minutes, I just have to show Aiya her room," I told him.

Tenzin nodded and left the room.

"Come on, Sato," I said to Aiya and she followed me out of Asami's room.

We walked down the corridor until we made it to her room. I opened the door and she walked inside.

"Nice room," She commented as she put her bag onto the bed.

"So, I'm the firebender girl who drives you insane? I didn't know I brought out such strong emotions in you." She sat down on the bed and crossed her legs with a smirk.

"Don't be so flattered, you're just annoying," I told her, crossing my arms.

I still didn't understand why she didn't want to be friends with me. I had done nothing to her.

"I know I am," Aiya replied.

♤ ♧ ♤ ♧

"It was an honour serving under Chief Beifong for so many years, and I wish her a speedy recovery. It is with great humility that I take her place as the new Chief of Police. Republic City is facing a threat like none the world has ever seen. But there is one man who has been effective against Amon's revolution— Councilman Tarrlok," The new Chief of Police said as the journalists and reporters flashed their cameras at us.

"That is why for all matters involving the Equalists, I will report directly to him," Chief Saikhan said.

My eyes widened and I looked over at Tenzin who shook his head in disbelief.

"The police department will lend any and all available resources to the councilman and his task force until we quell this insurgency."

"What is that weasel-snake Tarrlok up to now?" I asked Tenzin as the two of us eyed Tarrlok suspiciously.

After the reporters and journalists had left, Tenzin walked over to Tarrlok.

"Tarrlok, I don't know what you did to get Chief Saikhan in your pocket, but I highly doubt it was legal," Tenzin said.

"Oh, Tenzin, always the conspiracy theorist. Did you ever consider that Saikhan simply recognises my talents and wants what is best for this city?"

Tenzin scoffed at Tarrlok's words and I decided to walk over to them.

"Well, Avatar Korra, long time, no see. Now that your little pro bending distractions are over, I look forward to your return to my task force," Tarrlok said.

I crossed my arms with a scoff.

"Forget it. There's no way I'm rejoining your vanity project."

"That is unfortunate to hear, but I'm sure you'll have come to your senses as you have in the past," Tarrlok replied.