Chapter 1

Dee Shvagenbagen wasn't exactly what you would call a normal teenager. He didn't care what people thought about him. Dee just couldn't find it in himself to. Why should he care what people thought?

   Dee was now a sophmore in highschool. Only two tears until he could escape this hell.

   He was sitting in the back of his first period class on the second day of school.

  Now why would the story start on the second day of school? Well because everyone knows how orientation goes, its boring no one wants to hear that schpiel more than they have to.

  The first day of school simply consisted of getting to know everyone, something Dee really didnt care about, along with a bunch of useless nonsense. In the case of his first period maths class, a test to see what everyone remembered from ninth grade.

  Now something that was nice about his maths teacher, Mr. Fyler, in Dee's opinion, was that he was already passing back these tests.

  Mr. Fyler was a younger teacher probably in his mid-twenties. He clearly was new to the career and just getting the hang of handling teens.

  "Now settle down I'm passing back the tests from yesterday and I'm pleased to say we won't have to review a lot of material. We had one, one hundred in the class but otherwise I have adjusted the curriculum to go over what we need to."

   Dee looked at his paper confused. A ninety seven. He had missed one question about how to complete a square algebraically. Honestly who needs to know that anyway? He thought.

   The longer he looked over the test the more he became intrigued. Who could've possibly surpassed him in this class. He was excellent at maths. He had never achieved less than an A on a bad day.

   Observing the lot of students he would have to deal with at seven in the morning for the next far to many days no one caught his eye.

   There were those who were reviewing their tests finding their mistakes and learning from their mistakes. Others were talkibg over the teacher ignoring the tests laying on their desks. Lastly Dee found a select few in the class who had their tests right side up with their marks shown to the world. None of them showed an A+. Dee couldn't find one studebt inbhus class that might have the intelligence to beat him academically.

  Dee knew he was smart. In fact he prided himself in his intelligence. So it bothered him that he could not pin point the person who was smart enough to accomplish the feat of achieving a one hundred on this stupid test.

  Why did it bother him so much? Maybe it was because Dee had never been beaten before. He had never had to accept second in this category. Dee was known to be the next valedictorian of his class without question. He took it as a challenge he had to win. He couldn't let some imbecile win over him.

  Little didn't Dee know that the person sitting in the front of the room, right next to the door, was his competition.

  Yn was looking at their paper confused. How could I be the only one to get a one hundred on the test? It wasn't too hard they thought.

  Yn glanced around the room making eye contact with the boy in the back of the room for only a second. His piercing blue eyes contrasting with the black makeup lining them. That was the first thing they noticed before taking in the boys entire appearance.

  The boy was wearing a white button up and a black t-shirt underneath. His blonde hair was tied back only two strands framing his face. The curls looked a bit dishevelled but it really pulled the boys appearance together in their opinion. He had a unique style but Yn couldn't see themselves ever talking to the boy.

  Mr. Fyler was going over the test explaining to his students their mistakes and how to fix them in the future.

  "You just have to multiply the nominator here with this denominator and the same with these two numbers. You may remember your past teachers refering to this a cross multiplying..."

  Dee had noticed quite a few looks in his direction as the class assumed he was the person to get the top score on the test. He glared at those people. He didn't want to deal with people staring at him. It was rude to stare and yet these kids clearly didnt care.

  Dee drowned out the teacher lost in his own thoughts. He wasn't sure how to face this defeat. He'd never experienced such academic failure.

  He didnt want to obsess over it, but he couldnt bother to correct the singular question he got wrong when there was someone in this class that had done better than him.

   Dee silently put his headphones in ignoring the rest if class. He couldn't bother himself in such nonsense if hearing the same things explained again and again as the teacher went over the questions.

   Yn on the other hand had chosen to pull a book out under their desk reading as a way to pass time acknowledging the teacher, occasionally answering questions quietly under their breath when no one else knew the answers or didnt want to speak up.

   Mr. Fyler had eventually finished going over the questions saying he would accept corrections for half credit.

  "Now I've decided to take the next week to assign a review packet that we will go over together. I want to make sure you understand last years maths before continuing on. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to stay after class. I an also available fifth period if any extra help is needed"

  The teacher droned on before looking down at a stack of papers.

   "These are the syllabi for this school years curriculum feel free to look over it. This paper includes projects due dates and tests for the semester. Please have these signed and returned by Friday."

   Mr. Fyler passed out the syllabi before clapping his hands.

   "That about wraps up today's class feel free to mingle and get to know your classmates until the bell rings"

   Yn heard chatter commence around them as they put a bookmark in its place and began packing up their supplies.

   Just as Yn finished gathering their belongings and glanced once more at the peculiar looking boy in the back of the class the bell rang.

  Little did either if them know that they were thinking the same thing.

   This was going to be a long year