14. Detectives Discuss Theories

Start from the beginning

"You thought of something else?" Madison said. I guessed I didn't have such a good poker face.

"Not really. Just how much Mum is enjoying this. I don't think she would actually hide anything from Sarah if it would make a difference. But like, I think she wants to pretend Sarah's a baby again. Like she's bought these generic cleaning wipes for healthy skin. But when Sarah's not looking, she's got a separate pack that say 'Baby' on the front in big letters." I paused, and thought back to that morning, when Mum had swapped the pack of wipes in her dressing gown pocket for a different one. Like she thought I'd laugh and tease my sister if I knew she was using wipes that actually said 'baby' on, or that I might tell Sarah. Of course, that had made me curious enough to look at the pack in her dressing gown pocket just as soon as she'd left the room.

"Or 'Babÿ' with two dots over the 'y'," I continued, thinking back to the picture in my mind. "I'm not sure how you pronounce that, I've not started studying German yet. Babÿ Star Wipes. Like... she really wants to imagine that Sarah's a baby. I wonder if she might be like... putting off telling Sarah something that might help. She wouldn't really want her to be upset, but I wonder if she wants a baby deep down, so she'll put off suggesting things that might help for a day or two. It's just how much she loves her."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Madison said with a shrug. "I mean, I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten back to normal so easy if Mummy hadn't babied me a little bit. And... it's pronounced 'babe-eeesh' I think. It's not German, but Mum got me some of those ones. They got a really catchy jingle."

"I don't think I heard it," I said with a shrug, and thought about how I hadn't had any wipes at all because I didn't need them. I knew even as it crossed my mind that it was the stupidest thing ever to be jealous of, but maybe that just went to show how good my life was. "Anyway, I don't want to put any more pressure on Mum. But I'll have a look at that book. If there's anything in there that could help her get back to normal quicker, I can tell Sarah. Or even give her a clue how long it might take her. I think she'd take it pretty well, she's not as fragile as Mum thinks."

"Good luck," Madison said with a smile. "And if she wants a friend who won't judge her, let her know I'm... Oh, looks like your ride is here."

I looked up to see that Jessie's Mum's car had just arrived, and ran over to join her. She'd give me a lift home today, and then Mum would collect both of us tomorrow. Jessie's Mum was almost family anyway; she'd been our babysitter when we were small, and had taken care of me after school almost more than Mum had in my first year.

"Have a good day at school, girls?" she asked, and got a couple of cheerful agreements before continuing: "Your mum's working late again, Alice. She asked if I can fix dinner for you. Is there anything you need to pick up at your house first?"

"I... uhh..." I mumbled, and tried to think on the spot. That was exactly the opportunity I needed. "I wanted to read over some of the stuff we learned today. Like... the poem we did in lit, I think it would hit so different if you're reading it slowly in a quiet house, with the little click of the central heating in the background, kind of thing. Can I put my bag down and try reading, then come over to yours after that?"

"You really enjoy your school work, don't you?" she said as Jessie laughed just a little at my enthusiasm. "Always so mature. Okay, you got a half hour before we send out a search party, so don't get up to any mischief."

"Can I do it too?" Jessie asked, her amusement turning into enthusiasm as soon as her mum praised me. "That sounds cool!"

"I don't think you can feel the atmosphere of an empty house when your friend is there," her mum laughed. "You can try it later if you want."