Uneasy Negotiations

Beginne am Anfang

"I admire your tenacity to safeguard Goliath, but--"

"There's an invasion coming, Princess!" Bowser shouted over the Princess's quiet understanding. "And we need to be ready for it."

"I-is this a threat?"

"I can be threatening if I have to! You have to understand that this peace that you think you have won't last for very long."

"How long? What is happening? Where is this threat that you are warning us about?" The Princess pleaded, confused and somewhat frightened. "Please, tell me! I don't know what is going on." 

"I'll tell you what's happening: the Koopa kingdom. I hear they've reassembled their armies and even found themselves yet another king." Then, he rose from his seat and walked to the side of the table, so that he was standing right across from the Princess just out of his arm's reach. Toad tightened his grip on his weapon as Bowser was standing right in front of him. Bowser gently placed a firm hand on Toad's chest. "Don't bother, boy. You know that I can crack that stick, and you, in two." At that, Toad's hand lost its grip on the spear and it fell pathetically on its side. Bowser then turned his attention back to the Princess, who felt tense as the military king's figure loomed over her. 

"Let me tell you something you don't seem to understand. The Koopa live only for violence, conquest and bloodshed. Legend has it that they are beings not of this world. They do not understand sympathy when asked for, and they weed out the weak from the strong. Only by pure strength of will and might can they be tamed or conquered. Yet, even after much loss of life, morale and resources, they've always found a way to return. Always. The King and Queen, bless their hearts, though their sacrifice was noble, will not stop the storm that is inevitably approaching." Bowser paused to take a deep breath. "So what are you going to do now? Are we going to sit around and wait for King Koopa to show himself and bring an army with him, or are we going to bulk up and be ready for war? If we're not ready for an invasion soon, everything will be burned to the ground. So don't expect me to remain your loyal subject for long, Your Highness." He said those last two words with spitting contempt.

The Princess was at a loss for words. She never wanted to have to fight any one nation for any reason. Yet, she would be broken to think that she would lose the respect of one of her subjects, who she treated as her friends, and sometimes her children. But, arming even the young ones would cause everyone to panic. This seemed too drastic until they she could prove that the Koopa really had planned another attack. 

"Well?" Bowser pressed.

"Why decide that now is the time we must prepare for war?"

Bowser shook his head impatiently. "You really aren't getting this, are you? I had already led hundreds to their deaths during the war against King Kamek. I had planned a coup years ago, but my people were weak and ill-prepared.We could have succeeded and driven back the Koopa, and I would not be nearly the object of hatred and derision that I am now!"

"Please! Give me time to think about it!" Princess Peach shouted, frustrated and tired of discussing battle plans. 

"Time? You want...time?" King Bowser began to laugh. "You think that you can give yourself time when we have none? Forget it. You have chosen to stall our preparations so that you can think about them? Then, this is farewell." He slowly marched to the door. "I've only been King of Goliath for two years, but I've been a part of this kingdom for over twenty. Yet, nothing has changed. Goodbye, Princess Toadstool." And with a bow, he exited the royal double doors quietly and formally. The Princess frowned and looked at her unfinished strawberry tart pie. She wanted to finish it, but didn't have the motivation to do so.

"M-Milady?...If I am not being rude, may I finish your dessert? I am sure you would hate to see it go to waste if you are not willing to eat." Toad asked shyly.

The Princess quietly nodded her head and handed him the plate of pie.

"My apologies that I did not act appropriately to King Bowser's...unbecoming behavior for a politician."

The Princess shook her head. "I am grateful for your loyalty and company."

"Even if I'm not the most...capable guard."

"You will make a fine servant and friend in time. Don't be too hard on yourself."

---

"The Princess won't prepare for war. She would rather 'live in peace' whatever that means."

"Hmph! She is as much of a child as I thought she was. Thinking that everyone can play nice with each other. We will have fun destroying her kingdom, won't we Bowser?"

"She has no idea what's coming--"

"Mistress! I come before you with unfortunate news."

"What is it, Ludwig? Tell me what is good first."

"As you and I expected, Morton failed his one time to take the surface world by storm."

"The sidesteppers failed?"

"The sidesteppers failed."

"Hmph, of course. But, that no longer matters in the grand scheme of things. I shall give a due slapping across the face later. For now, we do not need mushrooms anymore. For we have found a new King Koopa to rule our people!"

"I shall not fail this kingdom, Master."