Book 1 : Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

"They pay off the referee so they can use techniques that are forbidden in probending, such as using ice. That's how they win their every match," She explained.

"And how do you know this?" Mako asked her.

"I'm dating one of the player's sister. I overheard her talking to her brother about it," Aiya said, shrugging.

I blinked twice. I didn't know why but I was slightly surprised that she was dating someone.

"Is that the girl you were talking to at the restaurant the other day?" Bolin asked her.

Aiya nodded.

"You're still with her?" Asami asked, her mouth dropping open.

"Asami, I know you don't like her, but she's a perfectly nice girl," Aiya defended.

"But she—" Asami began but Aiya cut her short.

"Asami, just stay out of it," Aiya said before turning around and leaving.

♤ ♧ ♤ ♧

After finishing our first round of practice the next morning, Mako, Bolin and I sat down for a break.

Bolin turned up the radio so we could hear the news better.

"You are listening to the music hour, brought to you by Cabbage Corp. Republic City's trusted name in technology for over fifty years," The voice on the radio said.

"Man, I got a good feeling about tonight! I don't care if we are the underdogs, we can take those pompous Wolf Bats," I said.

"It's going to be our toughest match ever, but I think you're right," Mako  agreed.

"Introducing your new champs, the fantastic Fire Ferrets!" Bolin said, imitating the commentator.

The radio suddenly began to glitch and a new deeper voice spoke.

"Good morning, citizens of Republic City. This is Amon. I hope you all enjoyed last night's probending match, because it will be the last. It's time for this city to stop worshipping bending athletes as if they were heroes. I am calling on the council to shut down the bending arena and cancel the finals or else . . . there will be severe consequences," Amon said.

I felt anger bubbling inside of me at his words.

"That guy's got some nerve!" Bolin spoke.

"You think the council will give in?" Mako asked me.

"I'm not waiting to find out. We need to get to City Hall."

♤ ♧ ♤ ♧

I pushed the door open and the three of us walked into the building.

"Korra, you shouldn't be here. This is a closed meeting," Tenzin said.

"As the Avatar, and a pro bending player, I have a right to be heard. You can't cancel the finals," I told him.

"I know winning the championship means a lot to you, but as far as I'm concerned we need to shut the arena down," Tenzin said.

"What about the rest of you? Tarrlok, there's no way you're backing down from Amon, right?" I questioned, putting my hands on my hips.

"Actually, Tenzin and I agree, for once," Tarrlok told me, standing up from his chair around the council table.

"The council is unanimous— we're closing the arena," Tenzin said, remaining adamant.

"No! You can't!" Bolin argued.

"I don't understand. I thought you of all people would take a stand against Amon," I said, looking at Tarrlok.