𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗹𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻.

Start from the beginning

"I'll stay with you if you want," I suggested. A weak smile appeared on her face as she intertwined our fingers together. "You don't have to," she said but frightened immediately when another loud thud sounded.

"Looks like you're not giving me a choice here," I said before I got up from the bed. I walked to the other side of the double bed and got myself comfortable under the covers. Ava watched in slight amazement as I lay down on the right side of the bed, confusion spread all over her face.

"You said you were only able to sleep when your parents were there. They're not here, but we can try and see if you fall asleep with me next to you," I explained, holding my arm out so she could lie beside me. Somewhat reluctantly, she did, her head resting against my chest.

My heartbeat quickened with the feeling of Ava so close to me. This was the clearest indication that I had fallen hard for her. I'd never gotten nervous about a girl lying next to me, but this wasn't the first time Ava made me feel things I'd never felt before. It worsened when her arm slid around my middle, strengthening her grip when new lightning flashed outside.

"Now what?" Ava's voice trembled slightly because of fear. I placed my arm around her and began gently stroking the tips of my fingers through her hair. "Now you're going to close your eyes and listen to my heartbeat while we talk. It should make you relax," I said, reaching for the light switches beside the bed. I turned on the night light on my side before turning off the ceiling light in the room.

"Your heartbeat is racing. That's not very relaxing to listen to," Ava giggled. Shit, I didn't think about that. She was right. My heartbeat was definitely going faster than it should've.

"That's your fault, not mine," I said cockily, causing her to let out a soft roar of laughter. I had to make that comment. Not only because it was the truth but also to get her to laugh. And laughter meant relaxation.

"Oh really?" Ava looked up at me, smirking playfully. "How is your racing heartbeat my fault?"

"Because you're the one causing it." I saw her considering kissing me, but somehow, she didn't do it. I wondered why since I knew I wouldn't complain if she did it.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. Her gaze left my face after softly biting her bottom lip. I forced her to look back at me by lifting her chin with my fingers. "Talk to me, please."

"Nothing we need to discuss now," she mumbled. "It's a topic we can discuss in the morning."

"Sure, if that's what you want. But at least kiss me next time you're thinking about it. It's not like I'm going to push you away. Better yet, I probably won't let you go when you do."

A careful grin appeared around her lips before forcing herself up a little and leaning over to kiss my lips. I cupped my hand around her cheek as I deepened the kiss, pressing my lips firmly against her. My other hand moved to her waist, squeezing the fabric of her sleeping t-shirt as I pulled her towards me.

I felt one of Ava's hands on my cheek, her thumb caressing my skin as her lips melted with mine. It seemed like we failed to let each other go, about which I wasn't complaining. I had longed for this since the first day I walked inside the apartment. This was very new. But I knew I would try my hardest to make this, us, work.

"Charles," Ava mumbled as her lips brushed softly against mine. I hummed protestingly, letting her know I didn't want this to stop. Giggles left her mouth before she pulled away. "This is exactly what I want to discuss in the morning."

"We can talk about it like this." Grinning, I lifted my head to reach for her lips, but her head moved back. "After we have talked," she smiled, emphasising the word 'after.' "Fine," I muttered as she lay her head on my chest again. "But only because you're asking nicely."