Things are looking up, right?

Start from the beginning

Though, being friends would be nice.

"Ooh, ice prince is working on the coffee machine like a pro. Let's go!" Lisa grabbed Jisoo's hand and they both headed toward the bar near where Haein is. When they both sat down, he looked at them, first at Jisoo, then at Lisa, before he flashed a small smile.

And this, Lisa returned with a huge one, "Hello! I'm Lisa." She said, leaning forward to watch Haein prep an espresso shot. "Sorry, Jisoo didn't introduce me earlier. You're Haein, right?"

"Yes, I am." He replied as he watched the espresso flow from the machine to a little red mug. "Do you want coffee?"

Nodding, Lisa clapped and said "iced americano please for me and espresso for Jisoonie!" Her antics making Haein smile a bit more. "Alright then, one iced americano and another espresso coming up."

Jisoo watched in awe as Lisa managed to crack Haein's shell in just a few exchange. Lisa has always been the more sociable one, always the friendly one who can start conversations with any stranger at any time. While this interaction with Haein should not come as a surprise, Jisoo still couldn't help but be in awe.

"Here's your espresso." Haein said as he slid a small turquoise cup in front of Jisoo. "Same colour as your board." He added, with a shy, tight-lipped smile.

"Ooh speaking of board, you're what, 5'10-5'11? There's a new board coming in a few days. It's perfect for your height. Wanna break it in?"

"What, like use it?"

"Yes! Surf with us! He should come, right unnie?" Lisa said, while sipping her iced coffee.

"Sure! I mean, only if he wants to." Jisoo picked up her espresso and took a sip. She didn't notice Haein watching her as she tasted it, a small smile forming on his lips. "Not bad?"

The espresso wasn't good, it was glorious. It was smooth, caramelly, with a little hint of vanilla and just the right amount of bitterness. In that small cup, Haein managed to brew something so sophisticated, and nothing like Jisoo ever tried before in the island.

Putting down her cup, she looked at him and said. "You should man the coffee machine more often."

Chuckling, Haein pulled at his ear and the. proceeded to buss out their cups. After weeks of being a recluse and in a constant state of intoxication, having someone to talk to made him feel that things can still be better. And while he still has his reservations, allowing himself to make friends can be a start of something good.

_

"I have never made so much coffee in a day until today." Haein said as he cleaned out the espresso machine. Together with Jisoo, they both manned the bar, and thanks to Lisa's rogue IG post featuring his iced coffee, more people showed to the usually quiet Angkan.

"For a weekday, that was quite a crowd." Jisoo said, "Thank you for helping out, especially with the coffee." Pausing from fixing the bar, she turned to observe Haein clean the machine. She watched how focused and deliberate he is with it, like he knows every nook and cranny of the bulky device.

"I own the same one at home." He mentioned, like he read what's on her mind. "Tito Hyunwoo asked me about this -"

"Eight months ago." Jisoo chimed in absentmindedly.

Haein raised his head to look at her and nodded, smiling slightly. "Yes, eight months ago."

"I requested for a proper coffee machine, because some guests were asking for real coffee, and just not those packaged ones. I tried, but I could never pull an espresso like you do."

Suddenly flustered, Haein turned away from Jisoo to grab a bottle of water from the bar fridge. This is the longest conversation he's had since coming to the resort and to have it with Jisoo in a deserted bar at night feels slightly heady.

"I can.. I can teach you. If you're up for it." He offered. Jisoo smiled and shook her head, "Leave the alcohol to me, and I'll leave the coffee to you. Deal?"

Instinctively, she reached out her hand and waited for Haein to take it in agreement. However, he was taken aback that he stared at Jisoo's hand for a second too long. She was about to pull back in embarrassment when he grabbed it and squeezed a little harder than he intended. "Okay. Deal."

The unexpected contact made Jisoo blush. They stood there, with their hands locked together and their eyes glued to one another. "Cool." Jisoo said, scrunching up her nose before letting go of his hand. Even apart, she could still feel the warmth from Haein's hand, like an invisible mark no one can see and only she can feel.

"Anyway, If you're done with the machine, you can go and rest."

Nodding, Haein started to make his way out of the bar before he heard Jisoo call back.

"And Haein?"

"It's nice that to see you out today." Jisoo said, smiling and holding on to his gaze before walking back inside the kitchen, leaving him standing alone in the bar.