A Missed Opportunity

Start from the beginning

Much, much later, when certain events had happened and she was in too deep, she did finally think back to that first meeting with Harry, and she finally realised who that other man was. However, it was too late by then and she had no evidence. Although it is by-the-by, she would have been wrong about one thing; the other man wasn't writing in his little book, still, that little assumption did eventually play out in her favour.

So, because she didn't look back, Rita Skeeter didn't see Draco Malfoy swivel in his seat and then move fluidly into the chair beside Harry Potter. And she didn't see that they both ordered another cup of tea and sat with their arms pressed unconsciously up against one another.

'What are you drawing?' Harry said to Draco, taking in the traces of eyeliner. It did things to him he didn't know how to explain.

'Your next tattoo.'

'Yeah?' Harry said, an eyebrow raised in amusement. They had not discussed this.

'Lilies,' said Draco, as if that sealed the deal. 'Ribs, I think. My birthday treat.'

'For you or me?'

'Me, of course.'

'You just want to get my top off,' Harry muttered as the gum-chewing waitress put down their teas in front of them.

She didn't react, but then she saw and heard all sorts in her all-night café and let most of it float over her head, generally because she heard all sorts of bullshit about wars and magic and actual fights happening in her little establishment. Invariably they were all made-up events that never happened in her secure knowledge of the world. She'd remember if anyone had so much as punched someone else in her quiet café. People probably on drugs, she assumed, but that wasn't her business, so long as they paid their bills and hopefully left a tip.

'I don't need to tattoo your ribs just to get your top off,' Draco said with a sly grin.

Harry grinned too.

'She bought it then,' Harry said.

'Yes,' Draco replied. 'And she knows she's indebted to you, big time. You own her, completely and utterly.'

'Were you reading her mind?'

'A little. She's too stupid to realise I was rifling around. She's going to investigate Twarmer. There's history there. Phase one begins, my evil overlord...'

Harry said flatly, 'bwah-ha-ha-ha.'

'You need to work on your evil laugh.'

Harry laughed genuinely as he looked at Draco fondly. 'Did she buy the part about you?' He reached out and straightened Draco's square-cut diamond earing. An unconscious touch of endearment that both men failed to comprehend.

'One hundred percent.'

'Good.'

'Don't think I didn't see what you did. I suppose, if she prints it, it'll make it easier if we go public.'

'Exactly. No harm in selling two stories in one; planting ideas of redemption arcs and all that in readiness...'

'Talking of redemption arcs and forgiveness, I've got some news...'

'Really?'

'I've had a piece of artwork commissioned. A large piece.' He held his arms wide. 'Squared...'

'Wow! That's amazing. When, who?'

'One of Pilli's clients, some rich Quidditch bird over in Hampstead—'

'Some rich Quidditch bird?' Harry looked confused. 'Are you talking about Ginny?'

'Mhem. Apparently, some of his clients were discussing my artwork and saying how cool it would be to have it as a wall piece...'