She got into the wheelhouse to be taken to the Dragonpit without saying anything to anyone else. Aegon would find out on his own that she was gone and on a tour trying to find herself a husband.

With no care for Aegon. It was glorious. She only wished she could see it unfold when she was gone.

But Alyssa was happier to be returning to Dragonstone. Many moons had gone by without her being able to see her family. Her sister, her brothers, her cousins. Alyssa had been stuck surrounded by those who didn't appreciate her company for months.

She needed to be back home. And she needed a good fuck.

Alyssa knew Cannibal was happy to be leaving. He hated the Dragonpit. Being in forced proximity to other dragons and little ones he couldn't eat. She'd flown him many times, so he could stretch his wings, but going back to Dragonstone was what he would've preferred.

He was restless when the Dragonkeepers brought him to her. Honestly, they were happy he was going as well. Cannibal was a handful on the best of days.

"I know. We're going," Alyssa assured, taking as much of his head as she could hold. He only let her do that, let Alyssa scratch his head and comfort him.

Alyssa mounted him easily. She climbed his wing and seated herself in the saddle, clipping the satchel of her things safely. And without further ado, she gave him the command and flew into the air.

Dragonstone was only hours away.

***

It seemed Alyssa's family had no need for the watchtowers to be operational. No one had told them she arrived, even as she passed knights who bowed and welcomed her back.

Instead, Alyssa waltzed into the main room by the painted table and sighed.

"Is my presence truly that unimportant?" Alyssa asked, surprising those who'd been in the middle of other activities.

Jace was trying to learn Valyrian, something which he'd neglected for many years. Rhaena was standing beside him, trying to help, and Daemon was standing with Rhaenyra a few feet away from the table.

All of them turned when she spoke and Alyssa smiled, opening her arms and gesturing to herself. Her blessed return to the dragon island.

"Alyssa!" Rhaena said immediately, eyes lighting up as she pushed away from the table and ran to her sister.

They hugged and Alyssa laughed, squeezing Rhaena tight. "You've grown, sister," Alyssa said, unable to believe how grown-up Rhaena felt. Taller, she held herself with a more mature presence. "More beautiful than even I," she added half-sarcastically, pulling away to receive a playful glare from her sister.

Rhaena let go of Alyssa and backed off. And to her surprise, Jace was right there for his turn to embrace her.

"Welcome back, cousin," he said happily, leaning forward to pull Alyssa into a hug.

She was surprised. Jace had grown. More man than boy, different than when she'd seen him last. A man grown.

Taller. Not as tall as Aemond had been but Jace was taller than Alyssa. A bit bulkier too. She imagined it had come from the training he did on the beach.