𝕙𝕦𝕞𝕒𝕟 𝕟𝕒𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕖 (𝟙)

Start from the beginning

"apologies, mr. smith, i can come back." callisto muttered.

"it's alright, it's alright. put it down." john replied, walking to lean against the desk by the windows while she placed the tray down. "i was, um... sorry. sorry. sometimes i have these extraordinary dreams."

callisto hummed while she opened the curtains to let in the morning sun, "what about, sir?"

"i dream i'm this... adventurer. this daredevil. a madman. the doctor, i'm called. and last night, like many others, i dreamt that you were there." john explained, watching her curiously. "we've even introduced ourselves as married before. other times, you're merely my, uh, companion, i suppose."

"a teacher and his housemaid? how scandalous." callisto joked and he smiled slightly.

"i was a man from another world, and you were a woman from another." he mused, walking towards his fireplace. "i looked as i always do, but my hair was unruly and improper. you had a more striking appearance, though. bright green skin, silver markings on your cheeks and forehead and your hair was pink at the ends. you wore leather a lot."

"well, it's certain that was a dream, then. unless you're going severely colourblind, sir, i'm not green." callisto smiled, but it looked slightly tight and false.

"no, you're not." john agreed with a soft chuckle before picking up the pocket watch on his fireplace. "and this thing, the watch, it was... yeah, funny how dreams slip away. i do remember one thing, this all took place in the future. in the year of our lord, 2007."

"i can prove that wrong for you, sir. morning paper." callisto said, picking it up off the tea tray and holding it out to him. "monday, november 10th, 1913, and we're both completely human."

"that's us. completely human." john mumbled, giving her a quick smile as he glanced over the paper.

callisto looked down at the tray in front of her and began to pour him a cup of tea. john sat down in an armchair and reached for his sketchbook, beginning to scribble something down in inky splotches. callisto walked in front of him and offered him the tea, which he took with a soft mutter of thanks.

john took a sip of his drink before placing it on the table beside him, "would you like to see?"

"you confuse me." callisto replied, standing in front of him with her hands on her hips, until she suddenly folded them in front of her politely.

"all of the things i dream up, well, what i can remember of them, i try and draw. take a seat." john smiled, clearly pleased to be able to discuss these things with someone.

callisto sat on the long sofa and he sat himself down beside her, handing her his sketchbook. she looked through the inky pages and the rough scribbles of writing doodled around and over the small pictures he'd drawn. there were sketches of a sonic screwdriver, a haunting child with a gas mask covering his face and daleks. she smiled at the drawings of the clockwork robots, their beautiful masks displayed perfectly. her smile fell ever so slightly at the sight of rose tyler.

"that's rose, a character, a friend of ours." john explained. "only- only in the dreams, of course. she disappears later on."

"these are very well drawn considering you say you don't remember them properly." callisto complimented.

"some things stick with me." john hummed as she turned a page to see the cybermen. she turned the next and saw a police box. "that's what i travel in, a flying blue police box, whatever that is. it takes me to different places in space and time. impossible."

"you have quite the imagination." callisto mumbled, looking over a section where martha was mentioned, along with a quick doodle of the human.

john hummed in proud agreement and watched her turn to the next page. if was a sketch of her, full of rough lines but accurately drawn, made to look how she did when she first met the doctor. across the page with the drawing, john had written things liked, 'trapped' and 'murderous'. on the next page was another drawing of her, her hair plaited and pulled across one shoulder with a small braid on the other side, a cuff around it. she had her arms crossed and a look of annoyance on her face.