18 | Birthday, Yes

Start from the beginning

Walking into the Weathervane I take a seat in a booth resting my head on the table before pulling out my sketchbook. As I sketch Tyler comes up to the table, "I know you only drink hot chocolate, but I've been working on this all week." He sets my drink down that says happy birthday as he sits across from me.

"Let me guess, Thing told?" I put my book down.

"Who do you think delivered the cake? Yeah, I went with the 98% dark chocolate ganache knowing both of your preferred color palette."

"It was alright... I normally don't like dark chocolate though. It's too bitter for me but it was still good. Thank you, now I don't want to drink this because it will get messed up. I mean you said it took you a week." I look at my drink.

"I'll be more hurt if you don't drink it. Enjoy my hard work." He motions to it so I do.

"Not bad." I make him laugh.

"What's your birthday plans for the day?" He changes the topic.

"Went to see Eugene in the hospital then came here for a drink and snack. Then I plan on isolate myself away. That's now I normally spend my birthdays after the stupid songs and cake and party." I explain to him.

"So, if I asked you out to a non-birthday, song-free dinner... would that be something you're interested in?" He asks with a slight smile.

"That means you really like this boy, dear. Don't be afraid to act on them... especially romantic ones." I hear my mothers words replay in my head.

"That does sound like something I'm interested in." I give him a smile causing him to get the biggest smile ever.

"Really?" He scans my face trying to see if I was joking or not.

"Yes, Tyler. I would like to go to a non-birthday, song-free dinner." I chuckle at his face.

"YES! SHE SAID YES!" I hear him screaming to himself on the inside making me laugh me. "Great. I should get back to work then." He gets up from the table happily.

I continue to stay at the Weathervane since I got alone time to sketch. Wednesday ends up coming in at some point taking a seat across from me. "You go visit Eugene?" I ask her so she just nods her head reading a Pilgrim's Journey.

"I know you're usually a quad kind of girl, but I've been working on that all week. Valentine can confirm since she saw hers earlier." Tyler brings her one taking a seat next to me.

"Birthday, yes. Happy, never." She tells him.

"He delivered the cake. He went with the 98% dark chocolate ganache knowing both of our preferred color palette." I add making him smile at me.

"Is that Enid's gift?" Tyler looks at her gift.

"It's perfect if you're fleeing a war-torn country on foot." She tells him.

"I haven't gotten one yet and I've been her friend longer." I mumble to myself.

"Come on. Don't you like a day that's all about you?" He asks her.

"Every day is all about me. This one just comes with cake and a bad song." She tell him.

"Got it, you both hate celebrating your birthdays." He nods his head.

She looks at her book before sliding him a drawing of the gate, "Have you seen that before?" She asks as he looks at it.

"Uh... What's that supposed to be?" He makes her take it back.

"It's a gate, you dummy." I give him a look as she goes back to reading.

"I'll leave you two alone then. Text you later." Tyler gets up leaving us. When the Sheriff comes in Wednesday goes over to him while I get my stuff to head back to the school.