No Chance Meeting

The breeze swept past the homes lazily as the crowds of Dale went to the market. The laughter of children running around could be heard, while parents tried to hold them back or remind them with words of safety. Beyond the walls of Dale, the kingdom of Erebor stood tall and proud, just like the dwarves within.

I laughed as I dodged the children running around, placing a hand on top of my basket ensuring that none of the produce fell. A sudden chill fell across my spine. I looked towards the mountain, where the trees were swaying wildly. My mind was full of confusion trying to figure out what was amiss; the sky was blue as ever with the sun shining brightly, but the wind was growing more and more ferocious by the second.

Then I heard it. The sound of a hurricane but with heavy thumps in a steady rhythm. Dragon. Clutching my groceries tighter, I started running home, knowing my mother was still there. The wind became unbearably dry and a shadow fell upon the city.

Then the first scream. A child, screaming in pure agony as the fire hit the city and the dragon started destroying the buildings. I dropped my groceries, now sprinting to get back home, the scorching heat of the fire burning down my back. I turn to look back and the street was in flames. Buildings toppled over muffling the cries of the inhabitants of Dale.

Pushing past stalls and abandoned carts, climbing over ruins, I tried desperately to make my way back. The screams never stopped. Families huddled together and ran, soldiers pushed past us, trying to slay the dragon and lead us to safety but it was all useless. People lay motionless on the ground, bodies aflame and crushed.

I pushed past the nausea building in my stomach as I reached the final bend. "Mama!" I screamed, my voice hoarse, as I saw her running frantically away from the fire that filled my home.

"My child, you're safe." She sobbed, clinging to me in relief.

"Hurry! We must get out of here."

She shook her head in sadness. "The dragon is upon us. There's no hope left for us." My eyes widened in shock and disbelief was written all over my face. The tears started welling up in my eyes as they poured out of hers. "Don't look at me like that, my child. Leave me, for I am too weak to outrun this terrible beast. I cannot let you die just because I'm too slow. Run. Save yourself while you can." She stroked my cheek, catching the tears with her thumb, and giving me a small, reassuring smile.

I shook my head as the tears fell faster down my cheeks. "I will not leave you behind, mama. You're coming with me, even if I have to drag you. We need to leave now." I grabbed her arm and started running down the street. Following the small crowd, we aimed to run to the gates leading to the cliffside in hopes the dragon would leave us alone.

Smaug was hungry for death. He lit the street ahead of us with flames and knocked his body into the bell tower behind us, hoping it would bring chaos and ruin. Oh, how he was right. Time started to go by in slow motion, and my mother's voice rang in my mind. "RUN!" she screamed as she pushed me out the way. I fell to the floor and cursed, my hands bloody and felt the scorching heat of the fire close to me. I turned back, only to be greeted with heartbreak. There lay my mother, crushed by the city bell, blood pouring out of a wound that I could not see. I rushed towards her, not caring for the dragon that had left to attack the mountain; not caring for the other families trying to escape; not caring for the others mourning their losses; not caring for my own safety.

I cupped my mother's cheek as she lay facing the sky, pain etched into her expression. "Mama," I whispered, hoping this was not the reality I had to live with. I knew I would outlive my mother, but it wasn't supposed to be like this. "Mama," I cried caressing her hair and holding her tight against my body. My cries became wails as I realised that my mother would never call me her child again; never hug me so tight that I felt the weight of her love. She was gone.