Chapter five: "I used to think that Romeo was full of shit"

Start from the beginning

The second I turned from (Y/N)'s sweet face and looked at Strauss, I knew I was in trouble. I felt like a kid in school, being scolded by the teacher. I hoped I didn't get suspended.

Stauss walked to her office and I followed her in silence. She just stood there, arms against her chest and an angry look in her eyes.

- "I assume you know why you are here."

- "Yes ma'am"- I cleared my throat and looked at her for a second or two, just to make her think I was comfortable around her. I was not, of course.

- "Doctor Reid, I have nothing against your relationship with SSA (Y/L/N), but I can not tolerate any public display of affection in the FBI. Not here, not on the field, not at any police station or crime scene. Have I made myself clear?"

- "Yes ma'am"- I repeated myself and nodded, hoping that was it. But it wasn't.

- "Listen, doctor, I understand what happened with your team was tragic, and trust me, I know you are all grieving and trying to process your pain. I am aware you have all been talking with Agent Hotchner."

- "Yes ma'am."

- "I trust that helps the team. We also have a professional team available that might help. Group therapy could be a useful tool if you all feel it's necessary. I don't want this loss to affect your work."

- "Thank you, ma'am. But I don't think that would be necessary"- she nodded at my words and sighed.

- "Keep the PDA to the minimum, or there will be consequences."

- "Yes ma'am"

- "Have a nice afternoon, doctor."

And after those words, I rushed out. (Y/N) was already locked inside Hotch's office, and all I do was hope she was ok. I could try to cook dinner for that later that night. Maybe that could cheer her up.

We were slowly moving in together. Every weekend and day off she would bring more of her things to my apartment, and she had announced to her landlord she would move out by the end of the month. We hadn't said anything to the team though, we had agreed that it was our little secret, and we wanted to keep it that way. Besides, if things went according to plan, by the end of the month the news would be bigger and more exciting. There was a ring in a box hidden in our apartment that belonged to her, and she still had no idea.

- "Reid, how did it go?"- Morgan asked the minute I sat at my desk.

- "Ok, I guess."

- "Pen was thinking we could all go out tonight, and watch a movie"- he added- "You, pretty girl, Seaver, her, and me."

- "(Y/N) was just talking about a horror movie festival, she was looking forward to watching the new Slice one"- I grabbed the paper and looked for the info, but of course, Morgan beat me at it 'cos he googled it.

- "Got it, at seven, I'll tell the girls."

(Y/N)'s point of view

- "(Y/L/N), you know what we are doing here."- Hotch sat on his couch and gave me a short smile. I nodded and sipped my coffee, trying to be a grown-up about the whole situation. I knew he was trying his best, and I was also pretty sure he didn't want to go through all this with the entire team.

- "Yes, you need to know how we are dealing with Emily's death and evaluate how the team is processing the grief and if it's affecting our daily performance at work."- I answered and Hotch simply nodded and sighed.

- "It's not just about work, (Y/N). You know we are a family, and this was particularly hard on everybody."- I nodded and took another sip of coffee.

- "Hard doesn't even begin to cut it, and you know it"- my comment came harder than I expected it, but Hotch didn't seem to mind- "I guess we are all just doing the best we can."