𝟬𝟭𝟲. make you break

Start from the beginning

he needs to keep his main priority in mind—and that's apologizing to clementine.

he honestly can't believe he didn't do that right off the bat, but his mind has definitely been very messy lately so it makes sense. he begins to shake his hands back and fourth, trying to work up the courage to knock on the door in front of him.

having to knock on the same door he used to open and barge right through with no fear is a strange thing. it makes him want to shrivel up and die just a little bit.

he turns his head and looks over to where he knows matt parked the car. matt and nick sit in the front and their eyes are on him, watching him as he attempts to do this. when they notice chris' eyes on them, matt gives a thumbs up and nick tries his best to nod his head encouragingly.

chris turns back around to face the door. he can do this!

he raises his fist and knocks three times.

he has never been so anxious in his life, and when he begins to hear the shuffling of someone approaching the door, realization sets in and he wants to run away. he doesn't run though, because that's one mistake he's trying not to ever repeat again.

chris watches as the door knob begins to turn and has to stop his foot from tapping impatiently. the door opens and fuck—chris should've ran away.

coming face to face with clementines dad for the first time since he broke up with clementine? definitely not something he was hoping to do today.

chris' eyes widen and clementines dad, clint, raises his eyebrows at the sight of the boy in front of him. he eyes him skeptically and chris really wishes he had ran away.

chris doesn't speak, so clint does.

"christopher." his voice is a deep, stern one and oh my god, this was such a bad idea. chris has never gotten this voice used on him from clementines dad. he might just get killed.

chris gulps.

"hi," he says shortly, hating how pathetic his voice sounds. it's clementines dad though, and this is the most intimidating he's ever been. "is uh..." he trails off for a moment at the sight of his unchanging face and coughs. "is clementine home?"

clint raises his eyebrows at chris like he's got some audacity to be asking that. the look makes chris want to vomit and die. he shakes his head. "i don't think that's a good idea."

chris internally shudders. clementines dad hates him now, that's really easy to tell. they used to get along really well though. they bonded over sports games and chris still remembers how much he seemed to love him like his own family. chris' dad and him were best buds too. he hates that he ruined so much when he broke up with clementine.

chris takes in a breath. "please," is all he can manage to get out, his voice a weak one.

clint narrows his eyes at him, opening the door he hasn't fully opened a little more to step out a bit. "you know," he starts, already making chris fidget on his feet. "when my little girl called me on christmas eve crying, i was the one who had to go and pick her up. i was the one who had to pick up those pieces."

chris uncomfortably shifts on his feet. he hates the way this man is talking to him right now just because he knows how true all of it is. guilt swirls up in his chest and makes his heart ache. he doesn't know what to say.