~1~

Freak. Psychopath. Vampire girl. People called me a freak because whenever I was looking at them, I, apparently, stared into their souls, which made them uncomfortable. Also, I would always make these weird creepy faces at people who tried to annoy me, and it scared them away easier than I would have ever hoped. But being called a freak hurt, and then people had to take it one step higher by calling me a psychopath. I guess they got the idea that just because I read too many novels with gore in them and I'd slip in a few blood-related things into the answers I have for my teachers, that was all they needed to come to the conclusion that I was a total psycho to them. I scared the teachers a lot with my answers, which, in the end, didn't finish off very well. And finally, people had started calling me a vampire, and they still do to this day, just because I wear a lot of black. Although I have to admit that I have watched way too many vampire movies to confirm that vampires don't always wear black. I was super pale and wore a lot of makeup too, which both had to add to the vampire vibe. Everyone would take one look at me and tremble in fear, but to be honest... I don't want them to fear me. I just want them to respect me for being a simple human being. But even if that were to happen, I still wouldn't talk to them. And the reason why I don't? People don't interact with me anyways, so why should I talk to them?

Anyway, that was my life. I would walk down the hall, all casual, minding my own business until people made eye contact with me. And the first thing they decide to do upon seeing me is make these really high squeaky sounds and run away. I don't know why they even bother making eye contact with me to begin with; I was already scary-looking enough as it is, even without makeup and my goth attire. Although no one but my mom and dad have seen me without my makeup. It's always like: 'Oh my God! She looks like a vampire!' and 'Let's call her Vampire Girl! It's perfect, it suits her so well!' So yeah. That's what people say. Now you get an idea of what happens behind my back. But the ironic thing is that everyone thinks I don't see or hear them as they say these mean things about me. But I know everything, and that's exactly how I was able to tell you all these things. It's because I listen to everything around me, even though I act like I don't care, but the thing is... I do.

I was walking down one of the school's hallways, listening to my favorite song 'Get Jinxed' by this band called Djerv, when all of a sudden this boy on a skateboard bumps into me. "Oh sorry!" he says and continues to skateboard past me down the hallway as if nothing had ever happened. I flip him the bird and fix my headphones. Boys. They can be total jerks sometimes without even realizing it. I had just reached my locker when some girls huddled around me and started giggling. I shot them a look as if to say 'do you mind?', and only until they moved away, did I open my locker and stuff my things inside. There was only five minutes until the start of first period, so I had some time to kill before- "Did you hear? There's a new student. I heard that he moved all the way from California." It was one of the girls that had moved out of the way from my locker. They were talking right behind me, and they must've guessed that since I was wearing headphones I couldn't hear them. But it was the exact opposite actually. I heard every word they were saying, and surprisingly, I found myself slightly interested in the subject. "Wait, what? All the way from California? That must've been a long trip to get to Washington." another girl says. "Well, anyway, that's what I heard from a few people in the school. But you want to know the most interesting part? I've heard that he's going to be graduating this year, so it's like, what's the point of coming to a new school if you're only going to be graduating the same year? It doesn't make any sense." the first girl said. I stopped listening and after that, it seemed like the conversation was turning more towards problems than actual facts. Before I knew it, the bell rang and it was time to head to my homeroom. Great. Let's just hope that I don't bump into the new kid.

                                                                                              ~~~

I dropped my backpack on the floor beside me as I took my seat in the middle row in my homeroom English class. I never liked Mr. Kim; he was always a bit too strict about seat placements and how we should behave. He stood behind his desk in the corner of the small room and fixed his glasses, then lifted his head to look at all our faces and smiled. "Welcome back, students. We're doing attendance so I'm going to call your name one at a time and all you have to say is 'present'." he said, and was about to say something else when all of a sudden the door to the classroom opened. A boy walked into the room, and for one thing, I had to admire the fact that he had at least some common sense of how to dress. He was wearing a leather jacket over a plain black t-shirt, black jeans and boots. His black hair complimented most of his outfit, but what really struck me was how dark his eyes were. They seemed to be staring into the souls of everyone in the room, despite them radiating a certain warmth and comfort. Mr. Kim's face lightened upon seeing the boy. "Ah. You must be the new student who transferred all the way from California. Everyone, this is Carter Clyde. Please give him a warm welcome." Mr. Kim said, still not taking his eyes off the boy. There were a few 'hellos' and a couple of 'welcomes', but I just kept my eyes on my desk. I refused to make eye contact with him. It was a dangerous thing to make contact with a new student, especially if that new student is a boy and you are a girl.