𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒙. peace beginning to fade

Start from the beginning

      Jake knew there was no getting to the Metkayina until an idea clicked in his head, tearing the pinger out of Neteyam's grasp. He jumped up, holding the tracker up. Immediately, the place was silent as they examined the device used by the sky people, "you tell the Tulkun that if they are hit by one of these, they are marked for death. Call for me, and I'll silence it. Saving their lives that's all that matters, right? Saving your family."

      The Sully family could hear the grief written in Jake's voice, knowing he was thinking of Juniper. Ronal and Tonowari glanced at each other before declaring their decision, "tell the Tulkun."

      The Metkayina scattered, following the orders of the Olo'eytkan. As Le'ah held onto Tsireya, she felt a shift inside of her. She gazed in the direction where she watched Lo'ak turn and leave, wanting to go after him. She noticed Neteyam trailing behind, and just as she was about to follow, Tsireya held her back and asked what was wrong. Le'ah sighed heavily, "Lo'ak's leaving. He's going to warn Payakan. Come on!"

      Tsireya was quick to follow after the Sully girl, realising her brother and Roxto were close behind. As much as Le'ah had adored Payakan when they met, with the sky people out there, she wasn't going to risk her brother's life. The four were quick to mount their ilus, going to the deck where they saw the Sully boys.

      Neteyam called out for Lo'ak, watching as he dived into the water. Le'ah groaned to herself, not listening to the voices behind, telling her to wait up as they followed, yet she was swift to remain behind Lo'ak by a couple of feet. As they dived in and out of the water, Lo'ak could briefly hear Le'ah's calls for him behind. It made him hesitant, yet his mind was stuck on his brother—Payakan.

      Le'ah noticed him coming to a spot, cursing at the sight of the pinger trapped in the Tulkun's skin. His twin sister's eyes widened at the sight, gazing behind her to see Neteyam, Ao'nung, Tsireya, and her sisters right behind. She jumped onto Payakan, observing the pinger as Lo'ak began to pull. He faced his sister, his tone of voice having a hint of pleading, "help me, Le'ah!"

      The girl got down on her knees, tightly grasping the tracker and began to pull with all the strength she could. Le'ah peered around her surroundings as the rest of the children caught up with them and noticed the ship hurdling towards them, "shit! It's coming closer," As all the kids joined in on pulling the pinger, hoping for it to release, Neteyam tapped his brother's shoulder, ordering him to call dad.

      Neteyam noticed the hesitance coming from Lo'ak, repeating his words. The older boy switched his gaze between his siblings and friends over to the ship. Le'ah called for him, "Neteyam, help us!" Her voice leaked the stress and anxiety she felt on the inside, causing Neteyam to rush to her side, helping them pull. They continued to tug with all their efforts, coming to no avail.

      Neteyam stopped, Lo'ak taking over his place, as he went to his ilu, passing a rope over to Ao'nung. The Metkayina boy caught it, tying it around the pinger. Neteyam mounted his ilu, swimming forward as the kids pulled at the rope and tracker together. With the strength added, the pinger had flown off. The kids stumbled into the water from the sudden release, quickly breaking through the surface.

      Le'ah gasped, smiling at the victory, but her mind pondered back to the demon ship advancing towards them. Neteyam picked up the tracker, gazing at others, "go that way. I'll draw them out!" Le'ah incredulously gazed at her brother, yelling out for him as he swam in the opposite direction of them. Lo'ak noticed his sister's reluctance, grabbed her arm and picked her up onto Payakan's fin as the tulkun dove.