𝟔𝟐 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐦𝐛𝐮𝐬𝐡

Start from the beginning

*

Landing steadily upon the rooftop, Nifa was already on watch nearby a small stone wall beside herself. Just briefly glancing over, a large crowd was slowing down the wagon we have our sights upon. Kneeling lower to the rooftop, my hands rest against the tiles for support. Nifa soon notices our arrival, almost thinking we were someone else.

"Corporal......Captain..."

Levi lifts his steel eyes, "Well?"

"The road's crowded, but I've seen nothing unusual," She informs us. "It's not far to Commander Pyxis' from here, so I think we're good, but how's the body double mission?"

Lifting my eyes steadily watching the wagon, "A success," I simply put it, but Nifa didn't sound rather convinced by my tone.

"You don't seem very pleased about that," She points out, while I'm troubled about it all as well as Levi. Our minds seem to sync with anything off putting, or we can sense something out of the ordinary.

"Well..........truth is, I'm not," chewing the inside of my cheek, trying to understand from before why they used a bunch of amateurs.

"Captain?" Nifa questions, while he sighs.

"Same here,"

He then falls quiet while in deep thought, judging by focused his eyes were on the wagon ahead. Subtly glancing around, I could see Hanji's squad spread out all around along with Lena doing the same on a seperate rooftop nearby. However, it's no coincidence that the wagon has been stalled for only a moment. Then again, it could be something else.

"Captain, wagon's almost on the move again," Nifa informs him, knowing he wasn't entirely looking at the wagon completely. My eyes angle worriedly in my boyfriend's direction, noticing the slightest concern that surfaces his usual stoic expression.

"Nifa....Akira, you've heard of Kenny the Ripper?" He asks calmly, causing me to be stunned in surprise. Why is he bringing up such a man now? He hasn't been around for about a decade or so.

"The mass-murderer in the Capital?" Nifa asks, assuming that's the person he was referring too. "The one that slit the throats of over hundred Mp's? Of course, but I always thought he was just an urban legend."

Shifting my eyes from Nifa, I return back to see Levi leaning up against the stone walls beside him. The cloak darkens his face, not seeing the emotion that was in his focused gaze.

"The stories are all true," He confirms, nonchalantly. "He's no legend........I lived with him. Back when I was a kid."

Nifa glances at him like he was crazy, while chuckling nervously in response.

"Yeah, very funny sir," She scoffs, before turning back to the wagon. "This isn't really the time to be making jokes."

I sent her a scowling look, while trying to maintain my composure.

This was the first time he's even spoken about this man to me, even though I've known about the stories before. However, I know Levi never jokes about such a thing, but that being said I wonder why he's bringing up the man now?

A sudden electrifying jolt ran up my spine, when I hear someone crawling up behind us.

A gasp leaves Levi, "Nifa!" we both shout in unison, when Levi's hand pushes the back of my neck down protectively, with him barely missing the bullet above. It hits the walls beside us, as dust flows around trying to stifle a cough. Levi takes his hand off the base of my neck, as my head whip around to see Nifa.

My eyes slowly widen in horror, seeing the young soldier sprawled backwards with her face blown off. Blood sprays from the attack, that it paints the cement walls red. Shit, what the hell?! In instinct I slid down the tiles, before clinging onto the safe side of the rooftop. Levi's eyes meet my for only a split second, seeing a mixture of fear and shock in him for the first time in a while.